Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools for frontend VLSI Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
Hi,
I was using Xilinx ISE (webpack) which could be used only for FPGA implementation.

I would like to know about the frontend tools that are available for VLSI design.
Are there any free downloadable tools for frontend VLSI?
 

calm

Full Member level 4
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
217
Helped
9
Reputation
18
Reaction score
4
Trophy points
1,298
Activity points
2,156
no this kind of tool but cadence and synopsys.
 

    Suresh R

    Points: 2
    Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
calm said:
no this kind of tool but cadence and synopsys.

Is there any evaluation version of VLSI frontend tools which is freely downloadable?
 

gbaerf

Full Member level 2
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
144
Helped
8
Reputation
16
Reaction score
1
Trophy points
1,298
Location
belongs to whole word
Activity points
2,322
See u can go through ALDEC web site
www.aldec.com .... from there u can install Active HDL .... Its Expert Edition is really rocking this days u can get alot of ideas in we site it self
 

    Suresh R

    Points: 2
    Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
gbaerf said:
See u can go through ALDEC web site
www.aldec.com .... from there u can install Active HDL .... Its Expert Edition is really rocking this days u can get alot of ideas in we site it self
Thank you. i went through it and it was useful.

But i thought of knowing the same for ASIC frontend design.
i.e., is there any evaluation version for ASIC frontend tools which is free to use.
 

vak

Member level 3
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
62
Helped
11
Reputation
22
Reaction score
6
Trophy points
1,288
Activity points
1,581
Evaluation version of ASIC frontend tools are generally provided to companies, in anticipation of some purchase from them. I don't think, any of the big players like synopsys,Magma and Cadence provide evaluation version (downloadable version).
 

univer_solar

Member level 4
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
78
Helped
6
Reputation
12
Reaction score
6
Trophy points
1,288
Activity points
1,808
Cadence FE Tools:
NC-Verilog and NC-Sim for simulation
BuildGates for synthesis and timing verification
Synopsys FE Tools:
VCS for simulation
Design Compiler for synthesis
PrimeTime for static timing analysis
Xilinx FE Tools: ISE
 

gbaerf

Full Member level 2
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
144
Helped
8
Reputation
16
Reaction score
1
Trophy points
1,298
Location
belongs to whole word
Activity points
2,322
Hi suresh,

There is one tool from aldec called Riviera Its basically "ASIC verification solution tool" basically made for ASIC type of solutions only....
I have attached the complete feature list and explanation for your reference pls check .....

other then this whatever the tools are mentioned above are the tools and company which is running in the market from long time ...... but I feel this ASIC verification solution " front end" from aldec will be surly useful for you ...

I will try to upload the limited software version set up file as well in software download upload section

with regards,
 

gbaerf

Full Member level 2
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
144
Helped
8
Reputation
16
Reaction score
1
Trophy points
1,298
Location
belongs to whole word
Activity points
2,322
U can even get the eval version of this even if u request in the web site or if u contact local vendor in your region
 

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
gbaerf said:
Hi suresh,

There is one tool from aldec called Riviera Its basically "ASIC verification solution tool" basically made for ASIC type of solutions only....
I have attached the complete feature list and explanation for your reference pls check .....

other then this whatever the tools are mentioned above are the tools and company which is running in the market from long time ...... but I feel this ASIC verification solution " front end" from aldec will be surly useful for you ...

I will try to upload the limited software version set up file as well in software download upload section

with regards,

Thats great. Thanks very much for your efforts.

Iam mainly looking for to migrate from "FPGA frontend" to "VLSI (ASIC) frontend" and hence trying to get familiar with the differences between the former and the later.

Is there a vast difference between the two??

I have used Xilinx ISE tools for Verilog coding.
Will it be of any difference if i need to develop the same verilog code for an ASIC application or can i use the same code in an ASIC frontend tool and do the post processing?

regard's
Suresh.
 

gbaerf

Full Member level 2
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
144
Helped
8
Reputation
16
Reaction score
1
Trophy points
1,298
Location
belongs to whole word
Activity points
2,322
No there will not be any difference at the coding level. if you want to run the same code....as front end level it does not make much difference...
 

    Suresh R

    Points: 2
    Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
gbaerf said:
No there will not be any difference at the coding level. if you want to run the same code....as front end level it does not make much difference...

Thank you. your replies were of much use to me.
 

kishore2k4

Full Member level 5
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
296
Helped
44
Reputation
88
Reaction score
10
Trophy points
1,298
Location
Middle Earth
Activity points
3,295
Suresh R said:
Hi,
I was using Xilinx ISE (webpack) which could be used only for FPGA implementation.

I would like to know about the frontend tools that are available for VLSI design.
Are there any free downloadable tools for frontend VLSI?

I am not sure why nobody suggested the freely available tools for ASIC Design. There are several good tools that are available for free.

Magic VLSI (*nix)
Electric VLSI (java based so all platforms)
Alliance CAD (*nix)
LASI (Windows)
Microwind (Windows)
Icarus(verilog simulator)

Give all of them a try but I would personally recommend Electric VLSI or Magic VLSI a they are more or less complete netlist-to-GDS tool suites. Alliance CAD has also got extensive set of tools. Search for my other posts regarding a brief comparision of the above tools. Good luck.
 

Suresh R

Member level 1
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
34
Helped
0
Reputation
0
Reaction score
0
Trophy points
1,286
Activity points
1,535
Thanks for those valuble information. I would checkout with each of which i have got.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Top