Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tools and development board for starting with ARM7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkdelabaca

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello !

I have experience using the PIC microcontrollers from Microchip, but now, I want to use a microcontroller more powerful.

Somebody can advise to me that tools I must buy to begin to use microcontrollers ARM7 of Philips?

I am interested in one development board, debuger, compiler,...

I see that Olimex have development boards at economic price: https://www.olimex.com/dev/index.html

Thanks !!!

Re: Starting with ARM7

did you check dspic?
have you worked with it?

Hi

You can use the labcenter Proteus and its VSM for doing all development in Simulator.
also KEIL had in the past a very good environment within uVision for ARM7 simulation.
for myself I used LBC2130 of Keil .

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www(.)i-g(.)org

kkdelabaca

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

if you work with keil realview , you can use nimi N-Link USB ( www.micro4you.com ) for programmer and debugger .

kkdelabaca

You can use the labcenter Proteus and its VSM for doing all development in Simulator.
also KEIL had in the past a very good environment within uVision for ARM7 simulation.

All great options (If money is no object!!!!!)

Starting with ARM7

Hi,

let me try to actually answer your question.
You should have a look at Yagarto, a nice user interface that is based on Eclipse and uses the GNU compiler
http://www.yagarto.de/

Another options would be WinARM with a nice tutorial here:
http://winarm.scienceprog.com/

Hope this helps you going forward

Bob

Last a remark to "pakitos", recommending dsPic is pathetic, slower, more expensive, poor tool chain, ..... forget it.

kkdelabaca

Thanks !!!!

Starting with ARM7

Good choice using ARM7. It ii the best best 32bit embedded architecture out there, pretty well an industry standard. Can't understant the lack of floating point versons, maybe they prefer separate fpu chips (whcih can make sense for industry), but a great chip with lots of freeware support.

kkdelabaca

For start with arm 7 I recommended for you
https://www.futurlec.com/ARM2103_Controller.shtml
low price, good and usefull design, quality made, many working software, easy to learn if you are beginner...
19_1180801029.jpg

regards[/img]

i want to use LM3S101 from Luninary micro . the mcu is very cheap. but my question is it has 8kb of flash memory and 2kb of sram. is it enough to write small programs in gnu c?????

arnab/vu2bpw

kkdelabaca said:
Hello !

I have experience using the PIC microcontrollers from Microchip, but now, I want to use a microcontroller more powerful.

Somebody can advise to me that tools I must buy to begin to use microcontrollers ARM7 of Philips?

I am interested in one development board, debuger, compiler,...

I see that Olimex have development boards at economic price: https://www.olimex.com/dev/index.html

Thanks !!!

I think it was asked earlier, but the range of PIC's goes further than the humble 16F and 18F series. There are much more powerfull 24F and dsPIC's

gramo said:
I think it was asked earlier, but the range of PIC's goes further than the humble 16F and 18F series. There are much more powerfull 24F and dsPIC's [than ARM7].
What sbout interrupt architecture? How does the interrupt handling capabilities (nesting, queing, prioritizing etc) compare between ARM7 and dsPIC?

Starting with ARM7

Hello friends
Does ARM can be aded with more ports by using latches and decoder.
more technically is it possible to interface more and more I/O devices using memory mapping in ARM
Please reply

Starting with ARM7

You can add latches or simply start with an ARM that has lots of I/O pins.

May be lowest cost without integrated Flash is LPC2220.

Bob

Starting with ARM7

Bob you mean to say there is DPTR like register in ARM so that simply i can do MOVX A,@DPTR as in 8051 to have data ponted by DPTR to external memory or peripheral in to accumulator. And if i am wrong please tell me the right thing.

Starting with ARM7

Well, there are CS (Chip Selects) that can be activated based on address ranges. You would select / enable your external device with such a CS line. Now you just write to that address range.
The 8051 uses a separate Data space and Code space, that is called a Harvard architecture. The ARM7 has a unified address space, each address is unique, that is called a "von Neumann" architecture.
So, writing to an external device would be done through assigning an address range to it and connecting it with the appropriate CS pin.
Hope this helps, Bob

Starting with ARM7

Hi,

but is ARM7 a "von Neuman" or Hybrid architecture.......

Regards,
Sujith

Status
Not open for further replies.