Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To design a counter which starts the time when a single phase supply is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syed Ali

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello :

I need to make a counter which start the time when a single phase supply is connected to it, Actually i want to connect it across my generator so that i may be able to check how long my generator has been running, means i want to keep the record of my generator's running time. i prefer the use of Micro-controller for this purpose. Help me Please !

Hi Ali
Which Controller you want to use and what compiler?
Since Generator output is 220V AC. A cheap Solution would be using Light bulb used in Electric Irons with 10KΩ resistor(go to electric shop he will tell you). Plug it in generators outlet (Using proper and safe connections). It will glow when generator starts. Now you can use LDR to sense to light using comparator.

When Comparator= 1
Start counting time.
When Comparator =0.
Stop Counting Time.

You need to learn about how to use Timers in Controller.

Good Luck!
Umair

Hi,

An even simpler isolated method would be a cheap mains coil relay activated by the generator with the contacts switching the micros port.

Yes, wp100 is right. 220V relay would do better.

I agree with the people above, an ac-powered relay is easiest, especially if you're only making very few of these. Otherwise you can use an opto-isolator with some high-value series resistors and a couple of diodes.

Let us know what's best for you.

Hi Ali
Which Controller you want to use and what compiler?
Since Generator output is 220V AC. A cheap Solution would be using Light bulb used in Electric Irons with 10KΩ resistor(go to electric shop he will tell you). Plug it in generators outlet (Using proper and safe connections). It will glow when generator starts. Now you can use LDR to sense to light using comparator.

When Comparator= 1
Start counting time.
When Comparator =0.
Stop Counting Time.

You need to learn about how to use Timers in Controller.

Good Luck!
Umair

Thanx Umair: But the problem with LDR is that in daylight it will be sensing the sun light which means counter will not work according to my requirement bcz i just want to count the generator's running time. Can you Guide me to do this using a PIC or Micro-Controller along with ADC etc
Thanx again for you interest :)

you have to make a 100 ms delay when reading the input port (programming code) or add a resistor and capacitor, when using relay. That is to get rid of bounces when contact changes.

But I think even a easier and cheaper way is to buy a hour meter (check for GRASSLIN TAXXO or HANYOUNG LT1)

Best regards.

you have to make a 100 ms delay when reading the input port (programming code) or add a resistor and capacitor, when using relay. That is to get rid of bounces when contact changes.

But I think even a easier and cheaper way is to buy a hour meter (check for GRASSLIN TAXXO or HANYOUNG LT1)

Best regards.
Bro (GRASSLIN TAXXO or HANYOUNG LT1) these are the switching timers i think, but i just need to note the running time of my generator, don't need to switch it after specific time.

- - - Updated - - -

Best regards.
Bro (GRASSLIN TAXXO or HANYOUNG LT1) these are the switching timers i think, but i just need to note the running time of my generator, don't need to switch it after specific time.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Ali.

These timers do not have a contact output. They just measure time when input is connected to 220VAC. Just connect it in parallel to your load.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back