Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tips for using RS485 at 80 metres

Status
Not open for further replies.

losturcos

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I will ask usability of rs485 at 80 meters noisy environment. What precautions should be taken for preventing problems?

Thank you.

Re: rs485 question

RS485 can easily work for 80 meters
Use minimum bud rate Speed and select the proper IC (Slew rate)
Use Shielded twisted Cable (Check the cable capacitance)
Grounding the Shield is important and Selecting the proper type of Grounding

the following links will help you

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

P.Ashok Kumar

losturcos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank you for the reply. I will use 9600 baud rate and sn75176 ic.
I don't understand the cable capacitance issue, could you explain it?
Thanks again.

rs485 question

All cable has capacitance between cores and cores/shielding. This affects the risetime of any fast pulse sent down it, it has in effect to charge the cable first. This is also an issue between traces on a pcb or i.c. This and inductive effects largely govern the speed of data transmission, hence the drive for ever smaller circuits. I have had problems with 9600B over 50 meters, you may need to go slower. Try it and see.

losturcos

I will use 9600 baud rate and sn75176 ic.

for 9600 bud rate use MAX487E / MAX 483E
SN75176 Consumes 25 to 30mA of current.

P.Ashok Kumar

losturcos

I am trying 4800 baud rate now. Is it okay to use sn75176 with 4800 baud rate?

rs485 question

Yes it should be fine, there are better drivers than 176, it is now quite an old chip. However it is not this that is the problem, just line properties that affect the possible transmission speed. If it is not successful, try a lower speed.

losturcos

I have tried the communication with two 200 meters & very thin cables (one of the cables are shorter than 200 meters), the communication didn't work properly. Rare messages come. Then I used 60 m. from the same cables for serial connection. Baud rate is 1200 for now. It seems working, I will increase the baud rate step by step.

I want to ask something about the resistor connections to the sn75176(I am using this ic for now, I will also try max487e). I have a master and one slave. In my circuit, between the A and B pins, there is a 1k of resistor, a 4,7k from A to +5V and 4,7k from B to ground. Do you think is that good, or should I make any corrections?

One more question. I want to apply some noise to the cables. How can I do it, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

No suggestions? At least a way to apply noise to communication cables?

rs485 question

nothing wrong with the 75176..I use it in my applications all the time.

rs485 question

The 4k7s are to pull the lines into a known state if floating. If you have a permanent connection between rs484 chips they should not be needed. Termination resistors are usually around 120R, 1K seems a bit high. There are lots of discussions weather to terminate or not, personally I have had more success leaving them out. Not sure how you inject noise onto the cable though for testing. I would remove all the resistors and try again.

losturcos

Thank you. I will try by removing the resistors, and also by correcting the resistors with right ones. I will write the results.

I want to ask one more thing which is about the cable type. What kind of cable should I use. As far as I know, I should use a twisted pair cable for a and b, and one ground. CAT5 includes more cables than I need. Is there a type of cable which includes only the number of cables that I need(which is 3 cables).
Thank you.

rs485 question

CAT5 is good, but they tend to break when twisted around, also they are quite thick and makes wiring difficult. You can always divide the individual strands into 3 pairs.

Twisted pair is good, I am sure there are good cables available for RS 485.

In any case CAT5 should do your job.

BEsides

losturcos

rs485 question

Yes it needs to be a twisted pair, cat5 is ideal, you could use the other cores for power etc, or just leave as spares. Its a good idea to have a common power ground anyway.

Added after 58 seconds:

Suggest you google, loads of RS485 info around.

losturcos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back