Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Tips for layout needed on thermal behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexxx

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

The below part is an H-bridge layout, 2 layers. FETs are SMD and use the printed board as cooler.

Now after some searching I thought that maybe there is a better way from thermal point of view, having less vias.

Adding thermal relief, it should look like that:

What do you think? Will thermal behaviour be improved?

Thanks,
Alexandros

FETs are SMD and use the printed board as cooler.
The first layout isn't bad. Thermal relief is a no-no for cooling purposes. You preferably would want to solder the board on a hot plate or in reflow oven, thus soldering of the transistor on the large copper pour isn't a problem. A solder mask should be provided, however.

Thermal relief is reasonable only for thru-plated component pads.

Reactions: alexxx

alexxx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FvM said:
A solder mask should be provided, however.
I have seen such a construction, which leaves the surface down of the FETs on the bottom layer without mask, leaving it as exposed metal. Not all the copper area, just the surface underneath FETs. Is this valid?

Last edited:

Yes, I've taken this as granted, the solder mask has an opening identical to the large FET pad. Thats the standard footprint, with or without a larger copper pour and/or thermal vias. You can also solder without a mask, but then the solder spreads over the copper pour.

Thanks for the tips! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back