Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tiny ultra clean PSU schematic needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
i have a nice ERA BV030-6935.0 L 50/60Hz mains transformer that outputs 2x6V (I think it can be connected in series for 1x12v. at 6v it outputs 333mA and has a fuse at 400mA.

I need a schematic for a suitable low power PSU, to use it for more serious RF use, so it has to be very clean and low noise.
These linear regulators are noisy and have a high drop out.

If a battery is considered the lower noise PSU, then charging a bank of AA Ni-MH using this transformer and use the power of the batteries, would be an acceptable solution for me. The same applies to supercaps, as I have two 400F at 2.7V ones.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

When you are talking about linear regs being noisy, what frequency band interests you? How many dB of attenuation do you require in that band?

Modern linear regulators have a humongous amount of attenuation for frequencies below 120 Hz. Even the lowly 78xx-series regulators have almost 80 dB rejection at those frequencies.
Higher frequencies for these regulators is another matter.

But if you require 120 dB at powerline frequencies, and 80 dB at 1 Mhz, I would use a LT3042. It also has a dropout of 350 mV while supplying 200 mA.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
When you are talking about linear regs being noisy, what frequency band interests you? How many dB of attenuation do you require in that band?

Modern linear regulators have a humongous amount of attenuation for frequencies below 120 Hz. Even the lowly 78xx-series regulators have almost 80 dB rejection at those frequencies.
Higher frequencies for these regulators is another matter.

But if you require 120 dB at powerline frequencies, and 80 dB at 1 Mhz, I would use a LT3042. It also has a dropout of 350 mV while supplying 200 mA.

LT3042 seems good.
I have to parallel two to get the maximum current of the transformer (333mA).
I like the simple circuit on page 22 of the datasheet (low noise cc/cv lab power supply), but how I can do this with paralleled devices?
Or is it equally low noise to use the circuits on page 26?

Status
Not open for further replies.