Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time required to design PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.

how much time does it take for you guys, to design different PCBs, with different Layout tools?

For example for me, with Altium Designer:
-x86 motherboard with 2 BGAs, 1100 components, 8-layers, high-speed DDR-400MHz-DIMM... took 2-3 months.
-ARM9 board with 400 components, 4-layers, SDRAM-80MHz... took 3-4 weeks.

Now, I am checking the Cadence Allegro. It seems things what took 0.5...1 seconds in the Altium, it takes several seconds in the Allegro. Like zooming to an area, what I want to see, and exactly there, or modifying a trace... And its so hard to make simple things.
So, I guess my 2-3 months design would take 6-9 months with Allegro?

If you are a one man show and have to build all your own parts, footprints, padstacks, schematics design files, constraints, etc ... then 2 to 3 months is awsome for an 8 layer mother board.

By the way, what ARM 9 chip are you using. I am writing a whole suite of Linux device drivers for the ARM 9.

atmel AT91RM9200 microcontroller (180MHz, 208pin). My colleague, the software-guy was working on the linux and drivers... almost one year ago.

for the motherboard, the sschematics was about 2 months extra, so 4-5 months for sch+pcb

Buenos if possible can you post a "smartpdf" to show pcb design complexity? I have yet to do a "large" design in altium and am curious to see one.

noone is designing PCBs here?

complexity - tool used - time required

Eagle
-str755-TQFP (arm7) with 2-bga, 5 ssop, 200 components, 2 layers, manual routing. = 2 weeks

Allegro 15.5.1:
20 Layer > 6 Datalayer;
Package Symbols: 2358
Pins: 19141
Padstack Definitions: 216
Already Connected: 15611
Missing Connections: 0
Number of Vias: 17647
Voltages: 32

2 men show in TEAM DESIGN > 6 Month

Designing a board all depends upon the complexity of the board, the accuracy of the design spec & schematic & BOM, the weather, how you feel, your moral, how your company works & how often sales come & ask for a little change (that is actually a big one) & how often purchasing turn round & tell you that your using an obsolete part because they cannot get it except for a 6 months leadtime.

Me, I wet my finger, stick it inthe air & say "about a couple of weeks unninterupted". It might still last several months though :D

thanx for the 2 useful examples.
if anyone else can write more, we will welcome the posts.

cyberrat: of course time depends on lots of things, but even then we can make some comparison... i am mostly interested in the comparison between design sotware for required design time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back