Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time constant of an aluminum electrolytic capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

htg

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me what is the order of magnitude of time constant of an aluminum electrolytic capacitor?

Which time constant? Self discharge time constant or charge/discharge time constant?

Hi,

If I wanted to know this, then I'd look into the darasheet.
Maybe not every datasheet will show those values...then you need to find the correct datasheet.

Klaus

There's no single datasheet specification for leakage current (or leakage resistance respectively time constant), because leakage is voltage and temperature dependent, and also affected by the previous charge state, each in a non-linear manner.

For an rough estimation I would refer to the below given leakage current formula from an Epcos application note. The respective time constant is 2000 s (general purpose) or 4000 s (low leakage types).

Leakage.png

Hi,

There's no single datasheet specification for leakage current
I did a google search: "al electrolytic capacitor datasheet".
I opened just the first three hits (TDK, Nichion, Panasonic) and every datasheet mentions leakage current.

It is true that leakage current depends on some parameters, therefore an exact value can't be given.
But it gives enough information to get a clue about leakage current behviour and it's expectable values.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back