Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Through-hole via in Agilent Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.

usx

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to insert multi-layer via into and I drew one using this tutorial.
https://abhargava.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/via-simulations-using-ads.pdf

The problem is that in the tutorial, they simulate via filled with conductor. What I want is a through hole via with metal thickness of several mil that is open and the two conducting planes do not cover it.

Capture.PNG

The problem is that in the tutorial, they simulate via filled with conductor. What I want is a through hole via with metal thickness of several mil that is open and the two conducting planes do not cover it.

Skin effect will cause current flow on the via surface only, so it makes no difference in results if you model a hollow via or filled. Current flows on the surface only in both cases.

That was the physics part. Now the tool part: Momentum internally meshes the surface of conductors, so that the EM solution uses a "hollow" via anyway. You could draw the via as a donut, but it really makes no difference except for the effective series resistance that Momentum uses for the via side walls.

For the pad, you can draw them as a donut if you wish. To cut out the center, draw a circle with the hole diameter on the metal layer, then use Edit > Merge > Union Minus Intersection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back