Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Through Hole Socket for 56 QFN 8X8 SMD package

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am looking for through hole socket for 56 QFN 8X8 package. Does it exist ? so that I can use on the test board.

I am also wondering what is the difference between 98ASA00405D EP SUFFIX (E-TYPE) and 98ASA00589D ES SUFFIX (WF-TYPE) for PF0100 Power Management chip.

Attachments

• Untitled 01.png
    Untitled 01.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 121

You can buy test sockets for many IC packages, even BGA from special manufacturers. They are rather expensive (several 100 $) and are mostly used to test precious prototype chips.

I have in the past made heavy use of CQFJ44
and CQFJ68 packages, to which these look sort
of related. I got through-hole and surface mount
sockets from the usual electronics distributors.
They were pretty inexpensive although you could
pay more for gold contact surface etc. The socket
types I used were also compatible with CQFN
packages, with the castellated pins that run up
the short faces of the packages. Whether they
would work with a package that has contacts
only on the bottom, I do not know. You might begin
with the "close cousin" types I mention, find the
vendor contact info and ask them to recommend
a similar but specifically appropriate socket.

Ironwood is one manufacturer of expensive high
performance test sockets, for when you're going
to manually insert a few thousand pieces in a row.
Or you need a lot less inductance than a formed
stamped pin can deliver (a half-turn and then
some) and require a straight pogo pin.

But for a one-off, I'd go with more of a "low (enough)
insertion force style and save the money (but buy
yourself an extractor tool, worth every penny and
they're not that many pennies).

Hi, I have the same question. Is it possible to get through hole socket for 56 QFN 8X8 package ?

Is the socket available at Digi Key or any other supplier ?

Hi,

Given the replies above - that it is horrifically expensive or you'd have to cobble together a Frankenstein fit-together of slightly different adapter to IC package... Maybe you could look at development/evaluation board versions, if there are any, they should be a lot cheaper (maybe even a free sample in your case, if it's for work purposes). I suppose it depends on what you need the adapter board for. At a push, a labour of love would be to design one yourself and send it off to one of those pcb manufacturers that are for very low-volume designs, or a labour of odiousness would be to get a bit of copper-clad board and try to cut the pads and tracks yourself with a cutter (exacto knife, I think) and a metal ruler. It's probably slower but quicker to write to customer support or preferably use a chat option if they have one, and ask several suppliers (like Digikey) if they have such a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back