Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Three basic questions about antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

myem

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
zucker antenna theory rapidshare -dynamics

I have some antenna questions as shown below..
1.Are beamwidth and bandwidth the same ?
2.What is dBi ? is it the same as dB ?
3.what is vertical/horozontal Poloarization ?

any basic antenna reference for beginning ?

questions on microstrip antenna

Beamwidth and Bandwidth are not same
in very simple language
beamwidth the directions in which antenna is transmitting
bandwidth the frequency range in which antenna is transmitting
"Effectively'

Added after 7 minutes:

u can search in ebook section for books on antenna

Antenna questions

dBi: In the expression of antenna gain, the number of decibels of gain of an antenna referenced to the zero dB gain of a free-space isotropic radiator

you can the book "microwave engineering" as a start to study RF

Re: Antenna questions

The attached file can answer your question ,

and it also has other basic information for antennas.

tanx for the book

myem said:

i have only this book. also you can start with notes which you can find https://www.ece.msstate.edu/~donohoe/
notes are related with balanis book! also if you want rest of the questions:
tubzim@yahoo.com

Antenna questions

for beginners I'll recomment electronic communication system by KENEDDY. It's has a chapter about antenna in which very basics have been discussed. It's the chapter 9!! go throught it, you'll find the answers of these questions..

myem said:

despite being a beginner, i recommend Balanis 2nd ed which is available on rapidshare

Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition (Hardcover)
by Constantine A. Balanis

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
The discipline of antenna theory has experienced vast technological changes. In response, Constantine Balanis has updated his classic text, Antenna Theory, offering the most recent look at all the necessary topics. New material includes smart antennas and fractal antennas, along with the latest applications in wireless communications. Multimedia material on an accompanying CD presents PowerPoint viewgraphs of lecture notes, interactive review questions, Java animations and applets, and MATLAB features. Like the previous editions, Antenna Theory, Third Edition meets the needs of electrical engineering and physics students at the senior undergraduate and beginning graduate levels, and those of practicing engineers as well. It is a benchmark text for mastering the latest theory in the subject, and for better understanding the technological applications.

From the Back Cover
The new edition of a classic resource for the study of antenna theory, updated with Multimedia Material
The discipline of antenna theory has experienced vast technological changes. In response, Constantine Balanis has updated his classic text, Antenna Theory, offering the most recent look at all the necessary topics. Like the previous editions, Antenna Theory, Third Edition is designed to meet the needs of electrical engineering and physics students at the senior undergraduate and beginning graduate levels, and those of practicing engineers as well. The text assumes that the readers have a knowledge of basic undergraduate electromagnetic theory, including Maxwell's equations and the wave equation, introductory physics, and differential and integral calculus.

The Third Edition offers new material that includes:

A chapter on smart antennas, which is presently a hot topic of current interest to antenna engineers in a number of application areas, especially wireless communication
A fractal antenna section, which introduces a new class of antennas that has received a lot of interest and attention after the second edition was published
New end-of-chapter tables that provide a summary of important equations in each of the respective chapters
Additional new figures, photos, and tables to better illustrate concepts
Additional end-of-the-chapter problems
An important new feature is the multimedia material on the accompanying CD, which presents:

PowerPoint view graphs of lecture notes
End-of-the-chapter interactive questions for revie
Animations and applets for most of the chapters based on Java
Second-edition FORTRAN computer programs translated to MATLAB®
Additional new computer programs based on MATLAB® with applications to topics in the various chapters

About the Author
CONSTANTINE A. BALANIS received his BSEE degree from Virginia Tech in1964, his MEE degree from the University of Virginia in 1966, his PhD in electrical engineering from The Ohio State University in 1969, and an honorary doctorate from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 2004. From 1964 to 1970, he was with the NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia, and from 1970 to 1983, he was with the Department of Electrical Engineering of West Virginia University. In 1983, he joined Arizona State University and is now Regents' Professor of Electrical Engineering. Dr. Balanis is a Life Fellow of the IEEE and the author of Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, also published by Wiley.

Not just Balanis. If you google the questions you asked, there are alot of general info and references available.

BR,
Watson

Antenna questions

1. Beamwidth is a measure of the antennas directivity (spatial selection or power distribution). Bandwidth is the range of frequencies for which the antenna meets a goal such as 2:1 VSWR for input match or acceptable gain or pattern behavior.

2. dBi is dB referenced to an isotropic source, i.e., a theoretical isotropic source has a directivity of 0 dBi (or unity in linear units). You may also see dBd which is referenced to a dipole antenna with has a directivity of 2.15 dBi.

3. Vertical polarization means that the E-field of the antenna's radiating EM fields is oriented vertically with respect to the surface of the earth. Horizontal polarization means the electric field is parallel to the earth's surface. In space, circular polarization is often used since there is no up or down. Circular polarization (commonly referred to as CP) means that the E-field is spinning as the EM wave travels through space.

Good introductory antenna texts are Kraus and Balanis.

is there any book that have the radiation patterns and antenna structures for different types of patch antennas?

Antenna questions

Polarization in basic terms is the orientation of the E-field

daniels_here said:
is there any book that have the radiation patterns and antenna structures for different types of patch antennas?

you can refer to link:

microstrip antenna by king
&highlight

lot of antenna design & modelling books are availale here

I'm sorry but those link apparently already inactive (moved)...
would you mind to give another link regrading of those book...
thanks...

nazanin said:
daniels_here said:

you can refer to link:

microstrip antenna by king
&highlight

My favorite book about Antennas is "Antenna Theory" by Collin and Zucker / McGraw-Hill 1969. Very theoretical (lots of Integral calculations :D ), but helped me a lot when I was a student...
Mosieur_Oiso

the best book that u can refer is balanies,

the other one i suggest is Electromagnetics -Mcgraw-hill publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back