Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This LED SWR meter any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug08

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am only looking for a simple circuit that will let me know if my antenna is matched fairly close. NOT looking for total perfection. Any idea what the proper way to use/adjust it is?
Thanks.

simpleSWR.jpg

The circuit it will not work as a SWR meter, because there is no directivity in the coupler used.
You need a transformer or coupled lines to do the job.
Here is an example:
**broken link removed**

Thanks for the reply. It just goes to show that people place bad /non-working schematics on the internet.....why they would waste their time I will never understand. I have everything for the schematic you told me to look at. The 10pf trimmer is used for fine tuning? Anything else you can tell me about this circuit before I build it? Usage/design etc....

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It just goes to show that people place bad /non-working schematics on the internet.....why they would waste their time I will never understand. I have everything for the schematic you told me to look at. The 10pf trimmer is used for fine tuning? Anything else you can tell me about this circuit before I build it? Usage/design etc....

Thanks

before you start building, you should really tell us what freq you are interested in using the meter on

Looks like a bridge circuit to me, which could be used to measure the load impedance.
Bridge circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yup exactly and you wont measure SWR with a bridge ! :)

OP have a look here for a real SWR meter :)

**broken link removed**

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: doug08

doug08

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That link was perfect. Very informative. Thanks.

yup exactly and you wont measure SWR with a bridge !

Not during regular operation, of course. You would use a coupler for that.

But as a "measurement instrument", bridge is fine (and broad band) to measure antenna input impedance.

"But as a "measurement instrument", bridge is fine (and broad band) to measure antenna input impedance. "

So If I was to make that bridge, I would connect it to my transmitter and antenna and it would let me know if the antenna is a good match for the transmitter by the LED not lighting up?

The configuration is not a bridge. Is just a simple diode detector followed by an LED which will indicate just the peak forward power.

You can see here a simple impedance bridge.

37_1323109677.jpg

The configuration is not a bridge.

:roll:

Red = one arm of the bridge
Blue = other arm of the bridge, consisting of 51 ohm and antenna

Diode is between the arms, and will see RF power if the bridge is out of balance (i.e. antenna <> 51 ohm)
Rectified signal will then light the LED

8_1323282243.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back