Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thevenin theorem APPLICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmdrdo

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Capture.PNG
GOOD DAY!

I need some help with this problem. Can you explain why is there no thevenin equivalent circuit for this circuit?
The only explanation I get from the book is that the load resistor is in series with the current source. I still cannot get my head around that explanation. I would appreciate it if someone can give me a more detailed explanation for this one. THANK YOU!

View attachment 144287
GOOD DAY!

I need some help with this problem. Can you explain why is there no thevenin equivalent circuit for this circuit?
The only explanation I get from the book is that the load resistor is in series with the current source. I still cannot get my head around that explanation. I would appreciate it if someone can give me a more detailed explanation for this one. THANK YOU!

The Thevenin resistance of that circuit is infinity looking in from the load resistor. No matter what the load resistor value, the current through the resistor will be the same. No matter what external voltage is applied to the load terminals, the current source value will remain the same. That is the definition of a current source. Its current value is the same no matter what any external sources are present, and it has an infinite impedance. You can model the circuit from the load resistor side as a single current source.

Ratch

Reactions: paulmdrdo

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

paulmdrdo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
View attachment 144287
GOOD DAY!

Even if we try to calculate Rthevenin, we cannot do that because then we have to open circuit the current source which ultimately make Rthevenin = infinity.

Anyway we generally use thevenin theorem mainly to calculate the current across the load resistor and in the circuit you have shared, current in the load resistor will always be equal to bib.

Status
Not open for further replies.