Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal relief spoke width

Status
Not open for further replies.

difflvl

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

For a thermal relief to a ground plane, would a small spoke width of .1mm constitute a bad ground connection? What is the recommended standard?

Altium designer defaults to .254mm, but when I look at the boards that I got fab-ed they look more like .1mm, very thin. Coincidentally im having some compatibility problems with that board from one platform to another. Is it likely that its the poor spoke width?

Thanks

Hi,
For a thermal relief to a ground plane, The spoke width of 0.38mm(15 mils) constitute a better ground connection.

thanks

Hi,

In addition to that care should be taken to ensure that plane areas do not get isolated after thermal relief pads are placed and etched.i would say spoke thickness min 8 mil to max 15 mil is ideal depending upon the complexity of the board.

Regards

Ramesh

difflvl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Also take care not to completely unbalance the connections to a 2 terminal SMT component otherwise it may tombstone.

difflvl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back