Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal Compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winsu

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Would a big drop of thermal compound on top of a SMD component ( without adding a heat sink on top of it) improves its thermal?. I wouldn't expect a big improvement without a heat sink, but would it make a little bit of improvement?.

Winsu,
Cheers

Doubtful, you would only be modifying the surface convective heat transfer while adding a little thermal path length. No idea whether bare or wet is better without data.

If you need to improve convective heat removal, might think about JB-weldvane a wee bit of aluminum bent to fin,-like ( I'd bet somebody sells little "hats" for SOICs but no idea who or what they call 'em; might also think about cutting down a bigger one from the reclaim box.

Winsu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Dick_freebird,

Basically you think that without a little heat sink ( even if it is just a fin of a smd heat sink) it won't make any difference, right?

My problem is that the PCB will be mounted vertically and it will be under vibrations...., therefore fitting a heat sink make feel a little bit nervous.

Do you think the JB-Weldvane would glue the little piece of aluminum in a way that it wont drop at all?

Cheers,
Winsu

What is the component?, do you know you can get insulating SMD "resistors" which very well transfer heat to a copper plane, even if that copper plane is at a different voltage to your SMD pin being cooled.
You can also do "vias in pads plated over"

Status
Not open for further replies.