Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The sigma-delta ADC architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuohsi

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sigma delta adc architecture

I have studied the sigma-delta ADC theory, decide to use single loop architecture.
What is the modulator advantage and disadvantage between feedback and feedforward single loop architecture?
Thanks for your reply!

feed back ->stability problems , some times we have to add zeros to make it stable, it becomes complex if it goes beyond 2,3 or so.
feed forward-> no need to worry about stability but have to decide the scaling parameters according to the voltage levelts at input and output of integrators even this is same for feed back one.

arunkumar446 said:
feed back ->stability problems , some times we have to add zeros to make it stable, it becomes complex if it goes beyond 2,3 or so.
feed forward-> no need to worry about stability but have to decide the scaling parameters according to the voltage levelts at input and output of integrators even this is same for feed back one.

Thanks for your reply!
But are they inverse??
feed back-->shall be stable due to feedback theory!
feedforward-->maybe unstall.
Are the postion inverse?
Thanks a lot!
:D

if we go to higher order sigma delta modulators single loop architectures become unstable as the order increases. so we go for MASH which is stable which is kind of like cascade or some thing like that.

arunkumar446 said:
if we go to higher order sigma delta modulators single loop architectures become unstable as the order increases. so we go for MASH which is stable which is kind of like cascade or some thing like that.

Thank you very much!arunkumar446!
Can I ask one question?
Why does feed-forward have to decide the scaling parameters according to the voltage levelts at input and output of integrators??:D

if the scaling factors are not chosen properly the integrator outputs may go beyond the saturation values of the opamps used to realize the integrators. so scaling facture fix this.

arunkumar446 said:
if the scaling factors are not chosen properly the integrator outputs may go beyond the saturation values of the opamps used to realize the integrators. so scaling facture fix this.

Can I ask another question?
If I scale the factor, the Vin doesn't go to full scale value??
(i.e. Vin < Vref ? If Vin can not equal Vref?)
Thank you very much!

Yes..The Vin value should be kept lower when compared to the Vref value.May be 0.25*Vref would be better to have the proper scaling.

Also the 1 bit or 1.5 bits (output level which u choose) can only be acheived by having the scaling process in this way.

santom said:
Yes..The Vin value should be kept lower when compared to the Vref value.May be 0.25*Vref would be better to have the proper scaling.

Also the 1 bit or 1.5 bits (output level which u choose) can only be acheived by having the scaling process in this way.

Thank you,santom!
Can I ask a question?
The Vin < 0.25*Vref

If I design a 16-bit ADC, I only have output value 65535*0.25 (0.25*Vref)=16383?
so I have output value only form 0~16383? Is it right?
Thank you!

kuohsi said:
arunkumar446 said:

Can I ask one question?
Why does feed-forward have to decide the scaling parameters according to the voltage levelts at input and output of integrators??:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back