Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the real meaning of convolution of two signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
convolution+figure+wolfram

Hello Everyone;
What's the real meaning of convolution of two signals in physical world? Does it mean adding of them?

Re: convolution [hlp]

It does not mean adding them. It more accurately means to "smear" them together, or to "blur" one function with the other. Imagine every point in the first function producing the second function centered at that point, but scaled by the value of the first function at that point. If you do this for every point in the first function, you will have a whole bunch of the second functions overlapping and all scaled differently. The convolution is the sum of all of these.

Does that make sense. A picture and an animation has to exist on the internet somewhere. I would try to google it. To explain convolution, a picture is worth 1000 words and a movie is worth a million words!

-tip

Re: convolution [hlp]

rrumpf said:
It does not mean adding them. It more accurately means to "smear" them together, or to "blur" one function with the other. Imagine every point in the first function producing the second function centered at that point, but scaled by the value of the first function at that point. If you do this for every point in the first function, you will have a whole bunch of the second functions overlapping and all scaled differently. The convolution is the sum of all of these.

Does that make sense. A picture and an animation has to exist on the internet somewhere. I would try to google it. To explain convolution, a picture is worth 1000 words and a movie is worth a million words!

-tip

please find it. It will be very useful (i will donate 5 points)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back