Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the problem of ring oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if i ring oscillator has many stages,for example 32. when the vdd=1.2V power up ,i find at the 0.6V the clk0-clk16 is work.,but it can't control the clk17-clk31 because the delay is too long.so the clk17-clk31 is work at an another frequency.this will keep until the vdd ok.so the frequency is high than my design.
how can i solve this problem?

You never want a non-prime number of stages because those allow "M*N" cycles to travel around the ring in a stable sequence.
Thank you for your answer.Does that mean i can't control the frequency of the ring oscillator. The only way is to reduce the stage and two stage is the best?
--- Updated ---

You never want a non-prime number of stages because those allow "M*N" cycles to travel around the ring in a stable sequence.
if i breaks the loop of the ring socillator until the vdd power up ,whether it can be solved.
but the delay cell is inconsistent.

Last edited:

I made numerous simulations of ring oscillators (chasers, sequencers). More than one topology.

3 stages: easy to work with. Simple to start operating. Orderly sequencing.

4 stages or more: Usually lapse into a faulty mode. Not always possible to recover desired operation.

I found a few tricks that help obtain proper startup and orderly sequencing.

* Ensure all devices begin at high or low state, by connecting each input to a fixed voltage via high-ohm resistor. The voltage might be a supply rail, or a middle value close to the threshold where the device changes state.

* Install an oddball gate in the loop. Example, if all your devices are AND gates, then put in one invert-gate.
If all your devices are invert-gates, then put in a non-inverting buffer.

* Install a time delay between each stage by adding an RC combination.

I made numerous simulations of ring oscillators (chasers, sequencers). More than one topology.

3 stages: easy to work with. Simple to start operating. Orderly sequencing.

4 stages or more: Usually lapse into a faulty mode. Not always possible to recover desired operation.

I found a few tricks that help obtain proper startup and orderly sequencing.

* Ensure all devices begin at high or low state, by connecting each input to a fixed voltage via high-ohm resistor. The voltage might be a supply rail, or a middle value close to the threshold where the device changes state.

* Install an oddball gate in the loop. Example, if all your devices are AND gates, then put in one invert-gate.
If all your devices are invert-gates, then put in a non-inverting buffer.

* Install a time delay between each stage by adding an RC combination.
thank you for your answer and simulation very much.
I add the initial conditon for each node ,it will work normally.

See the article "A startup circuit for even-stage differential ring oscillators "

But the first stage is work with very large current,because it is negitive feedback. Especially the pmos is large,my initial nmos should be large too.

Status
Not open for further replies.