Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The power level of GSM signals in different points in a cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec350

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
i want to know the power level of GSM signals in different points in a cell. is there any difference between power level of control signals and other signals? pls explain.

GSM [hlp]

in GSM900 the power level of transmitted signal is about 2 watts... but in gsm 1900 it is limited to 1 watt.. this level is controlled by BTS...basically in my openion there is no difference between the power level of control signals and voice signals main differnece is the channels based on frequency.
well if there is some thing to understand mmore plz reply...
if u found any thing helping plz click helped me button below

Re: GSM [hlp]

hi itsfanidotcom
you say:
basically in my openion there is no difference between the power level of control signals and voice signals main differnece is the channels based on frequency.
pls introduce me document about this subject.

Well, the received signal level on downlink (from BTS to MS) is measured in dBm & it decreases as you go far from the BTS location, at some point, you will have to make a handover (camp on another BTS) due to poor RxLevel (emergency handover). The MS is continuously measuring the Rx singal level from neighbors to the current serving cell. The BSC makes the handover decision based on those measurements on both uplink & downlink.

Most introductory textbooks discuss "Channel Concepts", in terms of Logical & Physical channels.

Each cell has a pre-configured number of TRXs (transceivers) that transmit at certain carrier frequency at a time (or different frequencies if Frequency Hopping is employed). On each carrier frequency, you have 8 time slots (that's TDMA).
GSM planners assign TimeSlot 0 of a certain carrier frequency as BCCH (broadcast control channel), the rest of time slots can be used as TCH (traffic channel). A minimum of one timeslot per cell is allocated for SDCCH (Stand-alone dedicated control channel).

There is plenty of eBooks & documents in this board, search for them, & if u needed extra help, let me know.

elec350

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

The cell does not consume more power when it is not making a call or when not communicating with the network.In Gsm900 the power level is two watts.The power also depends on the network range.If the cell is faraway from the service providers antenna it does not have much power.What happens is the cell(Mobile equipment) checks the power levels of the carrier from adjcent cellular areas.It catches the signal of highest power level and selects it as a carrier.

The power consumed in voice call is definitely more becuse there is continuous transmission and reception of the data through the carrier.

wHAT HAPPENS DURING CONTROL SIGNALLING IS THAT U NEED NOT TO HAVE A CONTINUOS tX AND rX THEREFORE POWER CONSUMED IS VERY LESS.
HOPE U NOW HAVE A CLEAR IDEA.IF NOT, U CAN EDIT UR POST

Added after 3 minutes:

DEAR KRYPTONITE U R TALKING ABOUT TDMA UPLINK AND DOWNLINK,BUT NOT ABOUT THE POWER LEVELS FOR CONTROL AND VOIVE CALLSS :))

elec350

hello nan_ishan
what's meaning of ur post? DO U mean that BTS sends control signals and call signals in the same power?

Oh! you can download this document...

I believe it's very good for beginners in GSM...

elec350

the transmitting power by BTS should be different for different users. the closer users, the less transmitting power. it is because of minimizing the interferience level for the mobile users.

well elec350 u asked about some introductory documents about this topic... regarding channels... i have this document hope this will help u in having an insight about channels.... if any question plz reply...

hi waleedelsafoury
you said:
control signals power is higher than traffic signals power
as errors is not acceptable in control as authentication and other functions
Have you any document about your opinion?

hi waleedelsafoury
you say:
you can use GPL mobile software to monitor you mobile power
what is GPL mobile software? how i can find it?

waleedelsafoury said:
gpl is GSM Position Locator

you can download it from

**broken link removed**

Very interesting software indeed!!!

I don't know about u guys, but i can't download if from that site!!!

Any advice, please!

waleedelsafoury said:
gpl is GSM Position Locator

you can download it from

**broken link removed**

I need that software but am not able to download it ( i dunno y!)

Can anyone upload it to MiHD or advise another download like for same, please???

Status
Not open for further replies.