Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The physical significant of fermi level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: fermi level

Dear Sumanth,

You shall get your answer in any book dealing with the physics of semiconductors like this one--"S.M.Sze, JohnWiley,'The Physics of Semiconductor' ".

In short I may say, Fermi-Level indicates that energy level where the probability to find an electron is 50%.

Sai

fermi level

Fermi level" is the term used to describe the top of the collection of electron energy levels at absolute zero temperature. This concept comes from Fermi-Dirac statistics.
The Fermi level is referred to as the electron chemical potential in other contexts.
87_1188807647.gif

fermi level is an imaginary level which has 100% occupancy at 0K.... also it is the level which has a 50% probability of occupancy at all other temperatures....

Hey friends i think physical significance is different from theorical explanation....please dont fill your answers with theory found in books....If anyone has imagine fermi level please let us know......

what physical significance do you think a imaginary level can have.... it got in the way of derivation to be at the centre of the valence band and conduction band of intrinsic semiconductor
and it had the property of being completely filled at 0K
so this is the only thing that can be said to be physical significance but i thought everyone knows that talking about physical significance of a unattainable temperature is going to be theoretical significance...

if you know the answer please post else stay out of the discussion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back