Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The phase noise for high comparing freq PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

saulbit

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear everyone:
I made a phse locked loop, with a 20MHz phase dector frequency. But I got confused with the measuring result of phse noise: the 1KHz , 10KHz even the 1MHz
offset is varying between -90~-100dBc/Hz. The frequency band is 2600MHz~3600MHz with 100MHz per step. The bandwidth is about 1MHz (the exact value is beyond my understand).
Also when I tried to reduce the loop bandwidth, the phse noise for 100KHz offset
would be bigger than the 10KHz.
I want to get such a value :-90dBc@1KHz, -100dBc@10KHz, and -120@1MHz.
So dear anyone could help me how to realize it?

I think the frequency of your oscillator is drifting.

vfone said:
I think the frequency of your oscillator is drifting.
Would you explain it in more details? My phase locked loops turned in the locking state quite soon.
My VCO is a wideband one for 2600MHz~4000MHz, and the sensitivity is varying from 60MHz~250MHz/volt, which is terrible for me.

If the PFD works near the dead zone ,the phase noise may have fluctuation. you can try to make the loop bandwidth smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back