Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The NEW ANALOG DEVICES ARM CHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I decided to comment on this new CPU .. Now that i have some of the tools and may be some other people will pay attention to it . This new cpu is somehow very close of the Cygnal's now Silab cpus .Both archirectures are vey similar .besides the fact that the first one is 8 bits and the ARM is 32 or 16 .Both are in a new category of architectures called MIXED SIGNAL .that's why i opposed those chips being compared with AVRs or PICS ..This new Analod Devices ARM based product contains 12 bits 1 megasample ADCs and 4 12-bit DACS .. And some new DIGITAL peripherals .. like the new PLA . The PLA is a cool Programable logic UNIT .
very similar to a PAL or gal . But with less product TERMS .. This unit accepts inputs from the GPIO's and internal registers . The logic cell registers can be cloked with the system clock or other. So basically is possible to make a fast counter or shift registers etc. The way that you programme it is also very simple ..There is a very nice graphic tool,that allows you to route the signals and configure the look up tables to implement most of the classical logic functions .. Then you select in the menu the produce C code option .And the necessary C code to configure the registers is thus produced . By doing the PLA programming in SOFTWARE is easy to reconfigure the PLA if another logic function is needed .So is a very convinient way to create logic interfaces or glue logic with very little hardware avalaible .
So i'll give an example .I'm designing this handheld with graphic LCD and thermal printer built in . The printer head electronics require very fast serial interface 8 Mhz . So this in the past would require a CPLD to do the parallel to serial conversion and a counter to produce an interrupt and to stop the transmission of the data when the buffer of the printer head was full . On top of that the graphic LCD requires some logic to serialize and decoders to write to the ports .. Well now i imagine using this PLA to do both .. First i configure the PLA to give service to the LCD .. i input my data and the i hit the PRINT command ,Now i write in the LCD "PRINTING........." And i jump to the printing routine i configure the PLA to do service to the printer head logic and i start printing .....
All now possible with just ONE circuit ..

The ANALOG DEVICE part is the ADUC7024 .There is a lot of new devices comming but for now this is the only one sampling

www.analog.com/Analog_Root/productPage/ productHome/0,2121,ADuC7024,00.html

What would you do if you were ME?(not ME but me elton)
I'm very much much interested in replacing the main product in my design .I decided to use a Cygnal 100Mhz chip . . So i started my design .Then as you can see i'm very enthusiastic about this Analog Device's new chip ,
What i like is this new chip is that is s 32 bit architecture so i can implement a much more powerful architecture .a File system a java machine etc .. But the only turn off is that this is too new. To adopt something that is not even yet supported in the US .Is kind of scary ..The engineering group is based in IRLAND ,but on the other side Analog devices is a much more SOLID COMPANY than Cygnal ..You see they are not even Cygnal anymore .. now Silabs ..
I can go either way at this stage .. What would you do ?

OK GOOD ..GOOD NEWS .. the ANALOG DEVICES's part is only $10.50
for a 100 pieces ,, well i will scrap the SILAB's design the part was twice that ! ,and do the redesign with this new CHIP .. thanks you help me a lot !
just kidding !

pelase post some links to that
thx

Status
Not open for further replies.