Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The minimum frequency of transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakut32

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new here, My name is yakut, very nice to meet you in advance!

My question is:

In general Transformers work only with A.C, but we know that D.C is just A.C with frequency of zero, so what is the minimum frequency that a transformer can work with??

Hi,

it´s different for every transformer, thus you need to read it´s datasheet.

Klaus

Michael Faraday demonstrated that to induce a current the magnetic field, must be time-varying.
DC is constant, it cannot be induced.
The minimum frequency in a transformer is related to the maximum flux density B that a particular magnetic material can sustain.
And B is a function of voltage, frequency, turns and magnetic cross section.

By applying a lower frequency to a transformer, it admits more current. The result is greater heat generation. Advice says we should not extract as much power from it, if we run it at a lower frequency than it was designed for.
According to articles such as this:

www.electricaltechnology.org/2019/09/can-we-operate-60hz-transformer-on-50hz.html

Along a different vein, there is a method of running DC through a transformer winding, which alters AC amplitude in the other winding. This is known as a magnetic amplifier. It can be a useful reason to apply very low frequencies to a transformer.

Last edited:
Reactions: d123

yakut32

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

d123

Hi,

it´s different for every transformer, thus you need to read it´s datasheet.

Klaus
Thanks for your reply, but I was more concerned about the theory. I mean we have been taught that transformers to work need frequency, but what exactly? Nobody answered that!
--- Updated ---

Michael Faraday demonstrated that to induce a current the magnetic field, must be time-varying.
DC is constant, it cannot be induced.
The minimum frequency in a transformer is related to the maximum flux density B that a particular magnetic material can sustain.
And B is a function of voltage, frequency, turns and magnetic cross section.
Thanks, that was very helpful!

Last edited:

Hi,

With ignoring DC resistance...
You may use a transformer at:
* half the frequency with half the voltage
* 1/10 the frequency with 1/10 the voltage
* 1/100 the frequency with 1/100 the voltage
and so on

There is no theretical limit.

Klaus

dB / dt = V / N.Ae as long as you meet the formula at left and the Bpk does not saturate the transformer - you can go down to any low frequency, so if I want to traverse from -1.8 tesla to +1.8 tesla with an applied voltage of 200V, in 100 seconds, the N.Ae product must be 5555 ( Turns. m^2 ) so a 1 meter squared core allows 5555 turns, and etc ....

Also, for a sinusoid applied voltage: Bpk = Erms / ( 4.44 F N Ae ) Ae = core area, N = turns, F = freq, Erms = rms volts

Same example as above, Bpk = 1.8 Tesla in my high grade ( Supermendur ) electrical transformer steel, Erms = 200V, F = 1/200 sec

this implies N.Ae = 5005 ( answer a bit different as the AVE applied volts are 200 x 1.11, c.f. to 200V ave in the above ) N.B. 5005x1.11=5555

so a core 250mm x 250mm ( 0.0625 m^2 ) requires 80,080 turns for 200Vrms at 5 milli-Hz, or 400T for 1V rms at this freq,

happy designing ...

Reactions: d123

d123

yakut32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back