Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The information about the Flip-Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hards

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Can any one give me the material regarding to the flip chip.
What is flip chip ??
Please let me know ASSP.

Thanks
Hardik

Re: Flip-Chip

Hai Dude

Flip Chip is a methodology in which the the connection between the padcells and bond pads can be done after some layers . Advantage of this technique is the routng lenght between padcells and band pads are less means reduced.

With flip technology die is turned upside down and directly attatched to the substrate using slder bumps.

due to this some percentage of top metal layer is not avaliable for signal routing.

Hope i amnswerd the need

Phutane

ASSP is application-specific standard product. It is a standard product that has been designed for a specific purpose.

flip chip technique avoids the traditional wirebonding machines , in which the connectivitity through gold wires is done in the sewing machine order, i.e., serially.Hence it is a time consuming technique also for the designs with high pin count it may take quite long and much prone to shorts between the wires.

Flip chip technique involves the direct contact of the die( faced down ) to the polymer tape on which predesign pattern of the I/O grid is layedout and the connections can be made parallel by solder bumps.

Why you flip the die, flip the substrate and keep it over die. :D

the polymer tape will be rolling on the machine to get the things done at a good pace
its easy to flip the dice rather

Flip-Chip

Another advantage of flip chip is that you can get a lot more pads on the chip since you have pads over the entire chip, not just on the sides. This can be very good for power and ground connection since you can have low inductance, low resistance power grids, as well as have more signal i/o. Since IR drop & I/O for a large, high power chips are a big problem, microprocessors have been one of the first adopters.

One disadvantage is that it's pretty difficult to do thing like micro probe or FIB the chip if there are problems with the design. All you have access to is back side of the chip, and you have to dig through the substrate to get to your probe points. (Hopefully there's no active under it....)

Thanks for your all answer.
Can any body give me the material regarding to it.

Thanks
Hardik

Added after 1 hours 42 minutes:

Hi ,
I have one more question..
Do we require extra library for the bump cells like Standard cells and Pad cells. ??

Thanks
Hardik

Flip-Chip

The disadvantage is the cost is more bcoz u need one more metal layer to cover that
thats why most of the people may not go for tht..

Thanks

Added after 7 minutes:

I think it requires a library bcoz its a library component..........

correct me if i am wrong

flip chip : solder bump packages

Hi all,

Here i am attaching a file with flipchip information and its advantages over wirebond,I hope this helps.

As per coming to the library for bumps i dont think we need(or get anywhere) any special library for bumps(If doing P&R).
Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks,
Chinni.

**broken link removed** is an excellent free resource on the vast array of flip chip technologies... there's a lot more to it than just solder bumping (which is very limited in bond pad pitch), there's also gold ball bumping, MicroPosts, and polymer bumping, just to name a few. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back