Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The difficulty of selecting nMOS size on ESD

Status
Not open for further replies.

haemun

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have an question about the ESD.
The picture I've attached is an ESD protection circuit for digital output.
I've used this pad but I wanna change the circled nMOS size of output inverter at this time because I need to drive more current than before.

The problem I've encountered is this: increasing W or decreasing L.
Which method is the best?
Decresing the size of L is an easy answer but I'm worrying that it may be damaged by ESD.

I think, of course, there's no matter whether I changed it or not if the esd protection circuit on the pad is properly designed.
But I'm still concerned about it.

Please share your experience and opinion.

Thanks!

Increasing W is safer for ESD event.

I think you can decrease the L,while you should add a little resistor between the Output Buffer and ESD devices.

Thanks for your replys. :)

Look at the layout first.
Usually output transistors and ESD transistors integrated in one large transistor that fingered by 40-50u with and surrounded by guard ring to prevent latch-up.
So when designer need to increase output driving capability he should cut some fingers from ESD part and connect them to output part. The total transistor size and S/D area are not changed.

Look at the layout first.
Usually output transistors and ESD transistors integrated in one large transistor that fingered by 40-50u with and surrounded by guard ring to prevent latch-up.
So when designer need to increase output driving capability he should cut some fingers from ESD part and connect them to output part. The total transistor size and S/D area are not changed.

Can you tell me why we can cut some fingers from ESD part and connect them to output part. Can it make the ESD failed??

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back