Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The differtial line in layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang830

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
In the layout of the differtial line, is it the closer the differtial lines in layout then the better for the performance?

thanks

generally, yes, but you need to consider two more skills:
1. too close routings may introduce more line2line coupling, that means the capacitive loading of the signal may be bigger, so leave some space can be benificial.
2. pay attention to environmental noise coupling, sometimes for critical differential signals, ground shielding is necessary on both sides.

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
chang830 said:
Hi,
In the layout of the differtial line, is it the closer the differtial lines in layout then the better for the performance?

thanks

they must be. but this introduces capacitive coupling bet the 2 lines. to reduce the capacitive coupling, put dummy metal between them.

chang830

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sxunxs said:
chang830 said:
Hi,

thanks

they must be. but this introduces capacitive coupling bet the 2 lines. to reduce the capacitive coupling, put dummy metal between them.

Hi sxunxs

Can u elaborate ur statement please.I would like to know, how dis dummy metal is added in between and what its effects are .

regards
Brittoo

hi srieda

I am sorry but that link does not answer my question.When u say "a dummy metal", do you actually mean a shielded metal line?

Regards
Brittoo

Brittoo said:
hi srieda

I am sorry but that link does not answer my question.When u say "a dummy metal", do you actually mean a shielded metal line?

Regards
Brittoo

the dummy metal acts as the common node of the parasitic capacitance bet the diff pair.
theredore, the parasitic capacitance will be seen as series from the first input to the common node and from the common node to the other input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back