Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The difference between the RedHat and SUSE Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhaithamhany

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all;

Please I want to ask about the difference between the redhat version of Linux and SUSE Linux.

If I take a course in any of them is there a great difference between versions or no?

Please I need detailed information as much as possible.

Thanks alot

Re: Linux Help

Hum I have worked withboth of them. In my opinion, I like more the redhat based distributions(fedora core), than suse linux. I think that the difference is that Redhat based distros have a better configuration tools, and is good for use if you're software developer or network administrator. SUSE is more like, for a normal PC user that will not stick around so mucho with code, and stuff like that.

first thank you for replying but i still confused about the difference in the offered courses in both version
what i get from u now is that redhat is more general than suse as in redhat there is more codes and development, am i true?

also there is another question why there are different no of CDs on linux some version is 5 CDs others are only 1 CD that contains all applications like office programs and media player programs

Thanks alot

Ok, first of all the redhat distribution now is called Fedora Core, and is a open project supported by RedHat, it has a lot of support and many persons working on it's development, but SUSE is not that open, in fact it is tending to be propietary software now that they allied with Microsoft.

In case of the amount of CD's it depends, for example for Fedora Core or SUSE are usually needed 5 CD's to install them or you can get a single DVD that contains all those CD. This requires many Cd's because this distributions are very complete and brings a lot of applications and packages that you can install.

Thank you very much for your reply

but may i ask another two questions?

1)What is the difference between the courses? I mean if i take a course on fedora version then if i work on suse version it will be difficult?

2)what about ibm courses is it worth to take courses to reach administration level?

Thank you for your patience

I think that all Linux have many things in common, if you learn for example Fedora core, then it will not be hard to figure out how to use SUSE.

If you want to take courses to learn faster that's fine, but don't forget that you also need experience and the will to read things by yourself, out of course.

Thanks alot for your help, really it was nice information

Linux Help

Just a little more info:
The main difference between most rpm based distributions is the administration and configuration software, SUSE has yast (console) and yast2 (GUI), and a bit different set of default packages from fedora (redhat).
In principle it is true that knowing one distro makes learning another easyer true, but fedora has a totaly different administration software suit from SUSE, so knowing SUSE doesnt mean you know fedora and viceverca, but in my opinion SUSE is much easyer to learn.

thank you all

but now I am more confused because what I really want is to reach the administration level in Linux , especially in SUSE version but surprisely most of the courses based on redhat version so please if anyone has an advice to me don't hesitate to reply on me.

Thanks alot

Linux Help

Here's a few links to eBooks about SUSE LINUX
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

pass: www.ebooksportal.org

Status
Not open for further replies.