Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The difference between high power resistors and the low power ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_stunner

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for taking your time and answering me.
I am somehow stuck in a vicious circle and I would really appreaciate it if anyone could ansmer me fully and/or introduce a good book about this problem of mine:

I (I as me and i as current) know that V=Ri and every book says that a resistor is there as a brake in front of electrons to limit the current flow and I also know that if this happens then the "dissipated" power by the resistor equals P=Vi=Rii=VV/R , now by this basic knowledge and these formulas I can't explain the difference between a high power resistor and low power (you know the type the 1/4 watt colorful resistors) ones.
please help me understand why I can't connect a low power 5-Megaohm resistor to a 200-volt home power outlet while the aforementioned formulas say that the current will be 40 microamperes and the power will only be 8 milliwatts which is less than 1/4 of a watt ????

There are many types of resistors; typical are, carbon, metal film and wirewound.
Some of them have a maximum operating voltage that have to be considered even if the power dissipation is not exceded. This is due to the fact that over-voltage can cause irreversible composition modification (mainly the carbon types) that can also damage the component.

You can connect a 5M ohms resistor across 200V provided its voltage rating is high enough. Resistor power is usually simply down to size - bigger ones can dissipate more power - but they also have a breakdown voltage so that has to be considered as well.

Keith

So this is what I've understood so far:
The withstandable voltage is more important than the amperage or power ??!!
and if a resistor voltage rating is observed there is no need to worry about the generated heat and the consequent burning.
and finally the formulas are true if the resistor doesn't burn.

No, both of them are important. Both maximum voltage and maximum amperage (that is: power rating) have not to be exceded.

Status
Not open for further replies.