Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The comparison of Hspice and Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

hung_wai_ming@hotmail.com

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been using Hspice from my first design. Then I switch to Nanosim and HSIM
for faster simiulation results. However, I never try Spectre. Can someone tell me
the advantages and which circuit to be used mostly in Spectre compared with Hspice?

Re: Hspice vs Spectre

I've always been using with Spectre. As i am feeling, spectre has a easily used environment. You can easily check and modify schematic, as well as simulation setting up, and you can do most of your simulation and analysis job in windows or menu form. However, if you have never been used Spectre, it may take some time for you to be familiar with it.
I also heard someone said that Spice is more precise, and often cause convergence problem, and the speed is comparably slow than Spectre.

Hspice vs Spectre

so u simulate all your circuits in spectre.
what kind of circuits have u been using?
Did u compare the results between sim & real silicon to check for simulator effectiveness?

Hspice vs Spectre

spectre is popular now for analog design. Almost all the foundary can provide spectre and hspice model.

Re: Hspice vs Spectre

Yes, I think spectre is more suitable for analog circuits simualtion. I use it to simulate circuits like amplifier, power management, and process from 2um bipolar to 0.5um CMOS.
From my experience, the simulation result is consistent with the real silicon. Of course, it depends on the precision of models.

Hspice vs Spectre

I also use spectre for op, ADC,and dc/dc regulator.
It is popular for our company.

Hspice vs Spectre

Hi Everybody,

I think I have to make it straight for everybody. I have designed Opamp, Bandgap, Regulator, Rectifier and … with HSPICE and also checked the simulation with Spectre, and silicon results.

As you may know, BSIM models are the most accurate models exist for MOS transistors. These models are for HSPICE. As matter of fact, HSPICE is the “golden standard” of simulation, which means the accuracy of other simulators is compared with HSPICE. Also HPICE has a very good speed and convergence, better than Spectre or any other simulator. So if accuracy of simulation, convergence and time of simulation is important for HSPICE should be your choice.

However, in Sepctre, you have more options for simulations. You can do LVS easier. In overall, Spectre is more “user-friendly”. Also I think for RF circuit, Spectre is more accurate than HSPICE.

I hope that my explanations help you.

OpAmp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back