Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the best choice in Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed_mahmoud

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to learn about Micro-controllers; however, there are a lot of types of Micro-controllers, for instance, PIC, AVAR, 8051, ..etc. In short, what is the best uC to start with, and what is the distinction between this types?

Re: the best choise in Microcontrollers

what is your application ? i depends on the application

kraouch

There are no general rules to determine, but 8-bits RISC core uC are easier to learn.
PIC16 familly matches that specification.

+++

Last edited:

Hi,

I would suggest you learn either PIC or AVR. First find out which one is available in your area, which is easier to find. If you find PIC is easier to find, then go with PIC. If you find AVR is easier to find, go with AVR. Each have their advantages and disadvantages, but you can get a job done with either. So, start with a PIC16F84A/PIC16F628A or ATMEGA48/ATMEGA8/ATTINY2313.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

But i think,8051 is better for beginners

i agreed with thannara123. you should start with 8051 as they are very easy to learn. After that you can easily go to RISC based MCUs like PIC and AVR

if you are programming in C the Microchip microstick is a good starting point
**broken link removed**
YouTube - ‪Microchip Microstick Overview‬‏

it is cheap (about £16 in UK), compilers etc are free for academic use, it has an onboard programmer and a header to pluging into a breadoard for you own circuits

i agreed with thannara123. you should start with 8051 as they are very easy to learn. After that you can easily go to RISC based MCUs like PIC and AVR

Course that each one can provide different opinions, and that discussion could extend too much.

But, 8051 core have some indirect addressing instructions wich 3 arguments.
PIC16 instructions have 1 argument.

It was hard when I had to program 51 in assembly language, but this task is easy when done to PIC16 fammilly.

+++

8051 is the best to start learning. There are detailed, yet understandable open source ppts and pdfs available onine, for free, legally. Also, there are several simulation tools for 8051.

If you want to learn assembly programming, learn 8085 programming first (even though it is a microprocessor and not a microcontroller). Then all other instruction sets, addressing modes etc etc will be clear. You don't even have to read them in most cases once you have done 8085 programming.

It is obviously upto you to decide what to learn. However, I would still recommend learning either PIC or AVR and skipping 8051.

May I suggest STM8S105 ?
You can start with its very low-cost kit: STM8S-Discovery, less than US$10.
Please read my blog at MicrocontrollersForHobbyists.blogspot.com

I would like to learn about Micro-controllers; however, there are a lot of types of Micro-controllers, for instance, PIC, AVAR, 8051, ..etc. In short, what is the best uC to start with, and what is the distinction between this types?

I'll have to agree with Andre and Tahmid on the choice of your first MCU, PIC or AVR, for example the PIC 16F series of MCU only has 35 single word instructions to learn. Also there are some very good tutorials available for the PIC and AVR online:

Some of the best tutorials I've come across are the:

**broken link removed**

They cover both the baseline and midrange PICs using Assembler (MPLAB) and Hi-Tech C, both of which are available for free download on Microchip's Website.

Hope this opinion helps with your decision.

If you opt for 8051, buy a book of Mazidi, it is a very good book for beginners.

Are you try to self studies or attend to class?
I think PIC is most sportive MCU. but if you can build good knowledge in PIC, it will not hard to understand AVR vise versa

the application is security system with minimum cost.
you need to draw up a specification of your proposed system, e.g. what sensors will you use, how will they communicate with the control station (cable, Zigbee, MiWi, etc), how will the user control it (via USB, bluetooth, IrDa ?), will it be connected to the internet (ethernet, wifi ?) etc etc.
Once you have a specification you can determine the requirements of the microcontroller and select one (allowing some extra capacity for expansion etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.