Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The average power signal of an aperiodic signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnetra

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
An aperiodic signal x[n] = {6,5,4,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,6}. What is the avg power of this signal? Is this signal a power type or energy type??

Re: Avg Signal Power

If x[n] is not periodic.
I assume you mean x[n] takes on those values for some values of n , and is 0 every where else.

This is definitely a energy type signal.
since for n = -∞ to +∞ ∑ |x[n]|^2 is a finite number

its energy is = for n = -∞ to +∞ ∑ |x[n]|^2
= 6^2 + 5^2 + .... + 5^2+6^2

the power of this signal, averaged out for all time is 0 .

It is energy type and its avg powre id 10

Average power of this signal cannot be zero because energy is an integral of power in time and here you have all positive values.

Avg Signal Power

In signal and system literature, signal power is defined as integral of square of signal divided by time over infinite interval of time. So how do u say that the signal power cannot be zero.

magnetra said:
In signal and system literature, signal power is defined as integral of square of signal divided by time over infinite interval of time. So how do u say that the signal power cannot be zero.

I saw that you samples were not from e.g. sinusoidal signal but from some aperodic which is always positive. I did not count with signal theory but on common sense because I am an electric power engineer. Maybe I am wrong. If you knew that signal power cannot be zero why asked your question?
Regards.

Avg Signal Power

Well the reason for me asking the question is the confusion associated with the answer. As u see, the two posts ahead of your (epp) gives two different answers. One says avg power is zero another says its 10. So there is this confusion.
I'm glad to have an electric power engineer's view on this. Yea from power engineering point of view, the signal may have power.

Regards M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back