Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TFT LCD Moving Image Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

harsgh2029

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on project of displaying graph of analog signal to TFT LCD.
I managed to interface 320x240 color LCD with LM4F232 running at 80MHz.
The MCU I am using has not external memory controller so I am using GPIO bit-bang to drive LCD.
LCD is having ILI9325 controller and I am using this LCD in 16bit mode.
I can display still images but when I change image, LCD flickers a bit.

To change the image I am deleting first image by filling background color then drawing second image.
The graph needed to update continuously, so if I keep repeating above process then there is a lot of flicker.

Now my question is the above method is correct to display continuously moving image?

I am working on project of displaying graph of analog signal to TFT LCD.
I managed to interface 320x240 color LCD with LM4F232 running at 80MHz.
The MCU I am using has not external memory controller so I am using GPIO bit-bang to drive LCD.
LCD is having ILI9325 controller and I am using this LCD in 16bit mode.
I can display still images but when I change image, LCD flickers a bit.

To change the image I am deleting first image by filling background color then drawing second image.
The graph needed to update continuously, so if I keep repeating above process then there is a lot of flicker.

Now my question is the above method is correct to display continuously moving image?

Hello,
I hope you already figured it out "the bad news", there is no support for lcd in arm LM4f (not recommended for multimedia). I was working on 6610 lcd (132x132) and interfaced it with many microcontrollers but was not satisfied with the performance.
Try it in 12 bit mode.If you are using this for graphs only then i suggest you to keep the background same and just update the numbers or variables it will save a lot of instructions.
You should try NXP LPC1788 Cortex-M3 microcontroller(in built LCD controller), it supports both STN and TFT displays. very good frame rate of about ~62. Here is a video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7nyg5I-q5gw

I want to know which 320x240 color LCD you are using and from where you purchased it?

Have a Nice day :)

Last edited:

Hi harsgh2029,
It seems to me that you are having the problem which most game developers have which is also called flicker. its due to the fact that tushki7 already told you.
If you are using this for graphs only then i suggest you to keep the background same and just update the numbers or variables it will safe a lot of instructions.
If you only refresh the place where the change is been made you can easily get rid off the flicker. It will require alot more programming on your side but the flicker will disappear. I have made many games in java and C++ and this was one of the first few problems i faced too. I dont think your problem is much different even though your working with ucontrollers .

Hi;
As recommended instead of clearing screen with a background color just update the new image.
As you insert fix color background human eye can catch it, unless you drive the screen around 100/120Hz. Even around those higher frequencies, inserting blank picture reduces screen luminance. That means a darker screen perception.
Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.