Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Texas C2000 DSP Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobakava

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dsp simulator

I'm trying to simulate simple programs with C2000 Code Composer.
I selected C2xx Simulator setup. I can compile code without any
warnings and without any errors. But when try to load program to
memory it gives :

Trouble Writing Target DSP Memory
Error Number : -2052
Error Address : 40
Memory Map Error : Range.

What do I to have to do?

1.Can I simulate C2000s without emulator?

2.There is only generic CPU drivers with CCS C5000 and C2000.
Are specific drivers available?

3.Is it possible to build XDS510 myself?

Greetz!

c2000 simulator

hi,
check progect option for assembler and linker directives. it may be incompatible with your device.
regards

texas c2000

i am novice pls give me some info about ti 240 series dsp programming info

ti dsp simulator

Hi Sobakava!
Some time ago I had same trouble... I don´t remember very well... but, it seems you should try to use some spectrum digital driver ( **broken link removed** )

If you want simulate for after run into a serie 2000 dsp (F243 or F2407 EVMs, or F2407 or F2812 eZdsp boards), I think the easiest and most productive way is to use Vissim software ( http://www.vissim.com/products/c2000/c2000.html ) instead code composer...

best regards
bicho

dsp c2000

Hi ..
I just got the same problem ..But i saw that there is no simulatror for the 24xx family ..only for the 28xx and 27xx .So you have to change the settings ..
I myself don't want to . Cause i want to deal wih 24xx devices . Does any body knows if there is a Ti simultor for the 24xx. I doesn't come with the eval version!!

f2407 xds510

Oh man !
I found a good solution .There is a guy named Blaise Gassed. he wrote a SOFT simulator of the XDS10 for linux /UNIX
Another guy ported it to windows .. by writing a DRIVER that intercepts all
harware accesses COCORICO for BLAISE ..
I owe a beer to the other guy
Well i just feel like celebrating today !
here is the deal:
**broken link removed**

texas dsp simulator

if you are using Code Composer 4.10 or 4.12 there is simulation of C24xx but yes, you will have troubles with the memory .. the main reason is that when you compile the program in cmd file you must specify to compile not in the space under 0x8000 adress but above it . the space under 0x8000 is defined as ROM memory in the simulation board cfg file so you can`t write to it ..ex:
.text: > EXTPROG
use also this gel file
menuitem "Memory Maps";
hotmenu F2407_RAM_memory_map()
{
GEL_Reset(); /* Reset the target */
GEL_MapReset();
GEL_MapOn();
/* Program Memory Maps */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0000,0,0x8000,1,1); /* 32K address space RAM*/
GEL_MapAdd(0x8000,0,0x0800,1,1); /* SARAM */
GEL_MapAdd(0x8800,0,0x7800,1,1); /* Ext address space RAM*/
/* Data Memory Maps */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0004,1,0x0003,1,1); /* MMRs */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0060,1,0x0020,1,1); /* B2 */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0200,1,0x0200,1,1); /* B0B1 */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0800,1,0x0800,1,1); /* SARAM */
GEL_MapAdd(0x7011,1,0x0004,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7016,1,0x001A,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7040,1,0x0007,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7048,1,0x0001,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x704A,1,0x000D,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7058,1,0x0008,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7070,1,0x0010,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7090,1,0x0030,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7100,1,0x0130,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7400,1,0x0023,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7426,1,0x000B,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7431,1,0x0001,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7500,1,0x0023,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7526,1,0x000B,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x7531,1,0x0001,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0x8000,1,0x8000,1,1);
/* I/O Memory Maps */
GEL_MapAdd(0x0000,2,0xFF00,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0xFF0F,2,0x0001,1,1);
GEL_MapAdd(0xFFFF,2,0x0001,1,1);
}

try it .. if you still have the problem post. it is posible to build XDS510 by yourself .. just search the forum :)
But CCS 2.x don`t have simulator for C24xx . only for 28xx

sim2xx.exe

Hello Gents,

I have browsed the TI site and I am confused by their variety of DSPs/development tools. All these processors and tools look incompatible between each other for me ... mess...

I hope I will manage to clarify the picture.
So Gents, please, can someone of you Eltonjohn, Sobakava, give me the answer of the following questions:

1. Can the program written using C/C++ be step by step executed as a simulation on PC (using CCS)? Is this processor dependent or can be done for all TI DSPs?

2. Is the XDS 510 needed in order to perform 1. ? Is this processor dependent or can be done for all TI DSPs?

3. Can 1. be done but the code to be crunched by the real DSP hardware (starter KIT, evolution board) ? So I am not asking for simulation but for software debugging on the real hardware in this question.

4. Is the XDS 510 needed for 3. ?

5 As far as I know the CCS support parallel interface between most starter KITs and PC. What functionality is covered by this simple connection?

6. Some of the TI processors have FLESH. IS the XDS 510 (I include XDS 560 also) official interface for FLESH programming? Is it not possible the parallel cable to be used? (I know that XDS510 simulator does the job, I mean the other official solution)

7. If I select the c5509 as processor (doesn't have FLASH) (It has some ROM but I can not understand how this ROM can be used. Only for the boot loader probably?) I have to use external FLASH. How the FLASH must be programmed? is there some tool for this? How is the XDS 510 related?

I hope that the answers(even simple yes/no) of these questions will improve my understandings of the matter a lot.

Thank you for your time!

dora

c2000 texas

HI DORA ..
Ok IT GOES LIKE THIS ..
There are sevaeral CODE COMPOSERS STUDIO .. FOr each family of TEXAS DSP .. one for the CS2000,one for the C5000 ,one for the C6000 and one for the OMAP .. Now there are some simulators avalaible
Do not CONFUSE SIMULATORS and EMULATORS .. a simulator is A SOFT PROGRAMS that "SIMULATES" the real thing . So no investment in HARWARE is required .. But there is a PROBLEM . TI doesn't offer simulators for all their products .. For example if you download from Ti web site the latest release of CCS c2000 .. You will get only simulators for the C28xx and C27xx and nothing for the C24xx .and others . So where to go What TO DO ?? Well there is an JTAG EMULATOR the XDS510 familiy .. But they are very expensive ! $1900 ( you can buy a car or better a case of very good malta or cognacs ) So not a good solution .unless you are rich !
Ok so the other way to go is to clone such a device .. do a search at elecktroda ..for $50 you can clone it ...Even cheaper ..there is soft clone for this device .. **broken link removed**
and a windows version at the same site .. So . now you have the missing tools to simulate any device that the XDS510 supports ..But you need to get the drivers from digital spectrum . And they have now lock their download site . i haven't paid to much attention to the C5000 family .. but i assume that is the same .
some chips are soft simulated and some not .. so i think over all
is better to go both ways soft xds510 simulated and build a clone of it
The only problem is that the Jtag TAP SN748990 is getting old and hard to get .. One solution is to syntethese it in a CPLD .. I want to do that .. I have a good srtaing point i only need to add some junk,, But i need the CPLD chips and some free time . Whenever i get around i centainly will make it avalaible to you guys!

sim2xxw.exe download

Hi eltonjohn,

Thank you for the explanation!

I sent several e-mails to you recently, did you get them?
I have used PM button.

Best Regards
dora

c2000 simulation

Hi eltonjohn,

From your explanation I conclude that for some of the families the software simulator is included in CCS.

But for the rest families (without simulation support in CCS ) the JTAG emulation magically helps for the simulation. I browsed the SN54ACT8990 datasheet and it seems to me that it is supporting chip for the JTAG communication with the real hardware (outside the PC).

It is still difficult for me to understand how XDS510 can be used for DSP simulation.

Can you clarify it out?
Or probably I can read something?

I am interested also in the debugging of the code in the DSP target (probably with using some RTOS). Can the parallel interface (shipped with most of the evaluation boards) be used for such kind of debugging? Is the RTOS still needed if the JTAG interface is used?

Dora

f2812 simulator download

HI again DORA :
Dora . The JTAG interface allows several things .It was implemented originaly to get RID off the NAIL BEDs test equipment .. (this one was too expensive,and with complexity of todays chips impossible).
Jtag is a comunication serial protocol .that allows to INJECT vector tests ..
These can perfectly be commands for blocks of JTAG modules. So in a chip now is possible to read the REGISTERS ,by just sending the apropriate command thorugh the jtag INTERFACE ... So you see NOW is POSSIBLE to do DEBBUGING in the real THING very INEXPENSEVLY. Provided that the CHIP has "PROVISIONS for IT" .Most high END cpus came nowdays with JTAG debbuging capabilities .. Now ,embedded Flash CPUS also make use of the same JTAG interface to PROGRAM the internal FLASH .. So you will find JTAG adaptors to PROGRAM chips ,and also to debug code .. The problem is HOW FAST you want to debug depends on how FAST you can SEND & RECEIVE those "TEST VECTORS" from the PC to the CPU . Usually everybody USES the parallel port for that . But that port is no very fast AT most 500kb/s .. So there are some jtag EMULATORS that need an internal PCI board .. This days everybody is migrating to USB2 ,there is plenty of BANDWITH there .
So don't confuse SIMULATORS and EMULATORS .. What i just mentioned applies only to JTAG EMULATORS .. there are other EMULATORS that are not JTAG . those are way MUCH ..but MUCH more expensive .. But i think that methodology is going away!
So the XDS510 comes in different computer INTERFACES .. parallel port ,USB ,PCI .. and even SCSI for the SUN workstations ..
in order for the CCS enviroment to send the "VECTORS" to the harware
a DRIVER is required,without it you can't talk to the CPU being debugged .
So as you see if you can't get a (software) SIMULATOR .. with TI dsp's you need a JTAG EMULATOR .. or as i INDICATED .. that SOFT simulator
of the EMULATOR (xds510) as i posted the lik up there .
What that thing does is .. It "STEALS" the data sent to the pc's parallel port through the driver and sends it to the "SIMULATOR OF THE XDS510 EMULATOR" . also provided by that guy!

cheers

xds510_win.zip

Hi eltonjohn,

Now I see the picture clearly, thanks!

1. So CCS send to the spectrum digital's driver the test vectors.
2. The driver communicates with SN748990 chip
3. It seems to me (not sure) that most of the schematics of the classical (old) JTAG EMULATORS use the parallel LPT port. So even other interface to be used now a days still the PC sees the latest XDS 510 as extra LPT.
4. The software JTAG EMULATOR (you pointed out) gets the test vector from the Spectrum digital driver and sends it to the LPT.
5. Simple buffered cable (as is described in annex a **broken link removed**) can be used to bring this vectors to the target.

This points are just to be sure i have got the idea

As far as I understand the software JTAG EMULATOR is a solution good enough (inexpensive) for the programming of the FLASH based TI DSPs

But what is the situation with the debugging of the code on the DSP target using this software emulator?

Eltonjohn it is very important for me if I have to make hardware XDS510 or just can use this software simulation of the JTAG emulator.
Since you have CCS + target probably you can try (for me) this solution for debugging of the DSP software on the real DSP board. (I will owe another bear to you :) )

I am asking since my current understanding is that Software DSP simulation should not be preferred than the DSP emulation in the real hardware (software simulation cannot get the outside world events like interrupts ... etc, should be like this because the XDS 510 is so expensive). Or I am not correct?

Best Regards
Dora

c2000 ccs

maybe you located some sections in some unwritable place in the memory, such as the peripheral frame. check the command file might help

c2000 tools texas

See if you are only intrested in simulation then there is one dos based simulator for C2XXX series of TI dsp controllers out there, search on google. I lost mine but it i found i surely upload to the board!

ti dsp c20 emulator

I`m need a simulator for 2xx - sim2xxw.exe (sim2xx.exe). Any help me, please....

Status
Not open for further replies.