Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing the CDI? units

Status
Not open for further replies.

NishantSood

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Im developing the capacitive discharge ignition systems but im not aware of the method of testing it apart from plugging it into the respective vehicle for which is made, now the problem with this method is that im developing cdi's for a very large segment of vehicles so i can't probably buy all vehicles to test the cdi's.

Any suggestions and solutions are all welcome!

Please help!

What you need is the input transducer(points?) and a load (spark gap set to 9{compression ratio} X .025 inches) with a neon bulb in series. So you can wind the spark speed up to max and make sure that the thing fires of sparks all the time. If you want to simulate the points you need a switch that opens/closes at 6000/2 per minute = 50 times a second or an oscillator driving a power transistor to simulate the contacts. And another thing make sure it works right from 10V - 15V and type test it to operate from -30 -> +70 degrees C.
Frank

can it be done by oscilloscope?

and in your previous solution ,what type of transducers must be there?
input/output?

Last edited:

"and in your previous solution ,what type of transducers must be there?
input/output?" Cars use hall effect/opto devices/mechanical points to trigger the ignition. You will have to simulate these if your CDI unit is going to be universal. You can put an oscilloscope on the output, but until you have calibrated it against a known well performing device, the wave forms will not mean anything. You will need a 50KV probe!!
Frank

"and in your previous solution ,what type of transducers must be there?
input/output?" Cars use hall effect/opto devices/mechanical points to trigger the ignition. You will have to simulate these if your CDI unit is going to be universal. You can put an oscilloscope on the output, but until you have calibrated it against a known well performing device, the wave forms will not mean anything. You will need a 50KV probe!!
Frank

Yes Frank, i was thinking the same only but wanted some expert support to the fact that i can use the oscilloscope to check the cdi circuits on the basis of calibrated one against good working ones , 50kv probes aren't a problem will buy it and what you say how much Mhz potential should be there in my oscilloscope because i have to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back