Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing millimetre wave band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobiNaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am eager to test a 77 GHz patch antenna. I know I can not use the SMA connector due to its operating frequency limitation, therefore I want to use a waveguide with a flange. But I do not know how to design one. Can anybody please help and give me a guideline to start from?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi MobiNaz

Have You looked into Waveguide to Microstrip Transition? i think that should be a good one to begin with there are quite a few papers available online for free and Google is Your Friend.Universities IEEE account should help you further.

Regards
Rotmanlens

Thanks for replying Rotmanlens. What about using a probe coupled into a rectangular waveguide? I can attach my patch to the probe. However, I am not able to get enough information regarding the size, diameter of the probe. Any clues?

I have no clue, what exactly you mean by probe couple into rectangular waveguide.Do you have like a reference paper or something?

Regards
Rotmanlens.

This article tell little about it. Some details are present in book "Foundations of microwave engineering" by Robert E. Collin page 276.

But information about the probe dimensions? Should it be 50 Ohms (like a coaxial connector probe) as my patch have characteristic impedance of 50 Ohms?

Saw it.How is it going to help you antenna anyways. it's probe coupling for waveguides,what does it have to do anyway with your microstrip patch antenna. The coaxial probe is the input to excite the waveguide modes.it's just confusing to me.May be there are others who understand you better

Regards
Rotmanlens

I will try my best to explain you what I actually want to do. If I have this probe coupled to the waveguide, the order end of the probe (lying outside the waveguide) could be connected to the antenna like a SMA connector. So this probe waveguide is nothing but a SMA connector.

OK.Now it makes more sense.i was think in the other direction.But we are back at square one.SMA connectors at that frequency are not viable to integrate them on to the patch.That's why this problem is dealt with waveguide as a feed to the patch.Waveguide to microstrip transition.

Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.