Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temperature sensor and thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakir_cool

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
Can any body tell me,what is difference between temperature sensor and thermostat?. I heard that thermostat is Temperature sensing device that turns an appliance or circuit on or off when a particular temperature is reached. Why i should use thermostat, if am reading the temp value in micro controller continuously through ADC and if temp goes abnormal through relay i am turning on/off the device. Can any body clear my simple doubt.

A temperature sensor is something used to give an output proportional to the temperature of it's surroundings whilst a Thermostat detects a threshold temperature to activate switch contacts, ~ generally!

Yes, you could use a temperature sensor with an ADC to detect a given temperature and then use that to control relays via a controller, but you may find that using the same temperature value causes some 'cycling' effects where a thermostat which has built in hysteresis is less prone to this effect.
Programming of your controller can be used to avoid 'cycling' with options of having a manual reset for example after 'over-temperature' occurs rather than your system re-setting and the cycle repeating should you have a fault condition which needs intervention.
A Thermal switch could be used directly into an input of a controller without an ADC as it has an internal make or break contact. same option for a reset function.

Do an internet search for each device and you will get much more information

hope this assists
Mik

Last edited:

Thermostat is a component of a control system which senses the temperature of a system so that the system's temperature is maintained near a desired set point. The thermostat does this by switching heating or cooling devices on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature.

Temperature sensor is sensing temperature only..

zakir_cool

something which would really assist with best answering your question would be a description of what it is that you are trying to do.

As an example, I use temperature sensors on heatsinks of Audio Amplifiers to control the voltage supplied to fans for cooling; but in case of obstructed airflow then to protect from overheating I use a Thermal Switch to shut down the amplifier when an 'over-temperature' occurs which has the manual reset so that the blockage to airflow can be resolved prior to re-starting

Mik

a thermostat contains a temperature sensor and switches a relay when the temperature sensor detects a certain temperature level.
a temperature sensor only measures the temperature and need some other components to do something with that temperature measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.