Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature “sensor” that works like a fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
sf96e digikey

Colleagues,

Is anyone aware of a small, PCB-mounted (preferably SMT) device that acts like a temperature fuse? Something on the PCB that will break (or may be make) a fusable link if the temperature of the PCB exceeds a threshold temperature somewhere between 40C and 100C? If such exposure takes place, it will be pretty long. I have a suspicion that these devices might be either nontrivial or nonexistent, because they would need to survive the soldering temperatures that are higher than their threshold.

Unfortunately, the arrangements such as thermistor-comparator-flipflop-FET will not work, because the circuit doesn’t have a battery.

I know that there are “permanent” temperature labels that change the color with temperature and retain the color of the maximum temperature (like these https://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsectionSC.asp?subsection=F02&book=Temperature). But they can’t disable the circuit. They are only visual aids.

Any references, insights or inspiration is appreciated!

Cheers,
Nick

Try searching DigiKey for "thermal cutoff". I've used the Panasonic EYP parts. They are inexpensive axial lead devices, about the size of a 1/2 watt resistor. Other manufacturers and styles probably available. Also known as TCO or thermal link. Commonly used in household appliances to reduce risk of fire in case of overheating.
https://www.digikey.com/

kender

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back