Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

telescopic OTA design

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyanitt

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sir,
im designing telescopic OTA with power of 360uW. Im trying to get a gain of 50db. Bt im ending up with 41db with a very high UGB. can u plz suggest me how out to increase my gain further with the same power rating sacrificing UGB. Is there any limitation on our gain that can be acheived with a particular current?

I will assume that you have a power supply high enough to have 5 transistors stacked (one current source, two for cascoded input and two for cascoded load). If you want to reduce your UGB you need to add more output impedance or increase the transconductance of your input stage. You can achieve this in several ways, increase the length of the cascode transistors to increase their gds, try to assure that they are in saturation for all your input range. Also you can try to low a little your tail current, this will inherently increase the gm but will decrease the Vdsat=(vgs-vth) so you need to be careful to avoid enter in triode region. The limit of achieveable gain for a particular current depends on vdsat, the recommended level is around 150mV but this will depend in the technology used and voltage headroom.

sir, the technology im using is 0.18um. i cant increase my length as per specs.

Pls try current mirror OTA with cascode output stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.