Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tektronix Oscilloscope TDS3000B at Start-up screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron1999

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tds3014b freezes

Hi all

Does anyone have experience with Tek TDS3000B scope startup problems :?:

I power up the TDS3014B oscilloscope and it shows the start-up screen but it freezes at this point:
23_1179054255.jpg

I tried firmware but floppie disk drive doesn't seem to start at any time.
It only flashes front leds once about 7 secs after power on and then square wave output for probe comp. becomes available. Nothing else happens...

Need help!

electron1999

Try searching the service manual for troubleshooting suggestions. Tek service manuals are pretty skimpy these days, but it's better than nothing. You may need to register, but it's free.
**broken link removed**

thanks for your interest.

I tried to use the troubleshooting chart but it doesn't seem to be enough for this case. In fact, troubleshooting procedure says:

39_1179082993.jpg

Q: "Does the Scope display the power-up screen?"
A: Yes/
Q: "Does the Scope pass all the Diagnostics?"
A: No, but it doesn't display any result message. It freezes at the Power-up Screen.
Continue with: "Perform Module Insulation Troubleshooting procedure"
56_1179082828.jpg

...and here is why I'm saying it is not enough....
Next: "Module Insulation Troubleshooting procedure"
which begins whith a note:
"This procedure assumes that the oscilloscope displays power-up diagnostic messages"
Q: "Does the power-up screen report any errors?"
A: No, but it doesn't display any result message
Result: "Oscilloscope is operating Ok" Which is false.

Perhaps, I'm missunderstandige something...
I thought there should be "hold down key" to restart the tds like in the next Tek FAQs link:

"My 11402 has locked up. I have tried powering it off, then on again with no success. How can I resolve problem? "
at: **broken link removed**

but I'm not sure if there is something like that for TDS3000B series...

your posts are welcome.

electron1999

I have a TDS 3054B. It's somewhat similar.

Try skipping that first troubleshooting chart, and read some of the others. They mostly check connectors and power supplies. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Try removing any accessory modules or batteries that may be installed in the scope. Maybe one of them is jamming up the works.

Also try asking Tektronix. They are usually very helpful.

I will open it tonight. I think I will need care to...

I asked tek support recently, but they just say about fixing it for $1325 without any previous evaluation. It sounds a little expensive to take it as first option rather than asking for some help as I'm now.

It sounds interesting to check for loosen cables or modules. Last thing I remember was a little freezing while working with it without any abnormality and it started to have problems on next power-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.