Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tcl and Perl for backend VLSI design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: tcl or perl

learn perl first

tcl or perl

for BE, perl is more useful for report processing. program control, using tcl, is usually minimal. or simplistic.

If you are using front end tools (synthesis, physical synthesis) then learn tcl. If your work is primarily in the backend, then perl is more useful.

for backend, learn perl...
i guess that's what you're more interested in for the moment :D

so many people so many words.........

for backend of course you need both Tcl and Perl. But for beginners, writing scripts for using tool is more important where Tcl is the best and all tools support Tcl. You can learn perl as you gain further experience and start doing analysis on various dump files.

tcl or perl

According to me, most of the Physical Design reated scripts are programmed using TCL and the wrappers to these scripts are written using Perl. So to master in backend, Tcl and Perl are equally important.

sekapr said:
Learn in the following order:

1. Unix commands
2. Shell scripting
3. TCL
4. Perl

I am very agree with sekapr

I've written for over 5 years on Perl, have written several substantial packages
for internal company use.

I now Python, which is simply superior on literally every aspect.

If I were to start now, I would learn python, not Perl.
You may need to know perl in order to work/support existing scripts,
but I do suggest to write all fresh code with Python.

Just my 2 cents.

To be honest, once you learn one you learn them all for the most part.

The point is that they are dynamic and typeless for the most part, and are very good at manipulating test with REGEXP.

PERL/python/ruby are probably better and faster for text processing than TCL.. but the tools have TCL built in.

With PERL/python/ruby you could built some substantial apps and tools, maybe not so much with TCL.

Shell is important too, but you don't see too many substantial BASH scripts anymore as PERL, etc are better overall with flexibility and features. Although grep/find/more are very handy for quick command line stuff..

So I'd say PERL + TCL in any order...

I went deep into PERL and just got by with just enough TCL to write constraints, automate some tools etc....

For a fresher who z not from s/w background.learning both the langs at the same time will be bit confusing with the syntax.I had faced this issue some yrs back.I learned both perl n tcl together, but I hardly use perl for writing any script.Whenever I wanna automate anything I will start my code #!/usr/bin/tclsh .. haha//

You can go through the online tcl docs to learn tcl, no need to waste ur money for training n all..

Cheers
Teja

tcl or perl

I prefer tcl.
1. EDA tools have TCL built in.
2. TCL have good documentation.
3. Perl popularity decreases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor