Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tablet battery to mobile battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My tablet battery has gone bad. I Have a mobile battery of the same capacity (3000mah). is there a way I can use this to replace the bad one. Tablet battery has only 2 leads while the mobile battery has three.

Is there any solution.

well.. Both batteries are Li-ion and so 3.7v . I tried a BL-5c battery (850 or 1050mah) it works. I can buy 3000mah mobile battery.
My concern is the middle pin which I heard is the thermistor connection. with the tablet battery with only 2 wires and leaving the third pin of the mobile battery open - will there be any issue? and the size is perfect to conceal the battery inside the case and close it.
any chance of blast issues, or anything ?

The third pin is not only for thermistor in some higher end mobile phones that will be used as charge and battery condition indicator.

In your case if its only for thermistor then there is no issue. because the usual temperature rise when charging will not be much more. but its better you check the charging indications are correct in the full first time usage.

Thanx for the reply.
I will try

In general - the mobile batteries (including Chinese) have some protection circuit inside ? - like over charge protection, over discharge protection? What concerns is as per what I know Li-ion battery is highly unstable and anything could happen. The tablet battery in question(original) itself was one day seen swollen like a pot belly and the back cover of the tablet was open (luckily there was only one screw used to mount the back cover) and I still has this battery it has a thickness of 2cm now (originally 6.0mm). anyway I will try. Is it safe to dispose it (SLA batteries cant be simply disposed by throwing away).

Yeah some of them will have protection circuit inside, but that is for temperature cuttoff.

Reasons for the problem:

That charging of battery might have been controlled through the third data (it might be) pin.

Or the voltage controlled charging from mobile phone is not suitable for that battery, becuase each capacity of batteries will have diff voltage in diff capacity level.

The charger inside the mobile will think the battery is not fully charged and will keep charging it. there is 50% probability of batteries working on diff devices.

So you cant use that technique anymore. The disposing method is different in different countries.
https://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-Batteries

1 last question - I have heard of batteries exploding while charging (actually attending a call while charging).
Ok. is there any chance of such explosion once charged, detaching the charger and using it.
I bought a new tablet battery and unfortunately it is a bit thick and does not fit in the unit.
I may have to mount it outside on the back cover.

I removed the big battery, it is uncomfortable mounting it outside the case.
I connected a mobile battery of the same capacity. It is working but, it charges only up to 86%. and gets hot.
It is okay for me to have atleast that much - comfortable. Is there any android app that I have use to limit the charging to 85%?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back