Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synthesis of I&Q clock signals using 2 PLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to ask if its possible to generate quadrature clock signals using 2 input signals with a small phase shift between them, applied to 2 PLLs like in the image.
The frequency dividers implemented as cascaded flip-flops should be reset at the start, to ensure proper phase shift, or the PLLs wil take care of this?

Thank you.

I suggest you start from twice the frequency and divide it by two, using two flip-flops, one triggerred on the rising edge, the other on the falling edge of the input signal. You will obtain two signals which are always 90 deg out of phase.

Eugen_E

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the reply.

I know about obtaining quadrature signals using 2 flip flops and an inverter, but I want to use the above circuit - with PLL .

The maximum frequency of the VCO in the PLL is limited, and I can't aford the frequency division with 2. Generating 2 signals with 2.8 deg phase shift is easier, because is done in software - a software DDS runing on a processor, and I need PLL anyway, to multiply the frequency.
Please tell me if this will work, and if I should reset the frequency dividers at the start.

I am not sure I understand the comments about the frequency being too high, since you would no longer need the PLLs.

Anyway, I do not understand why you need the 2.8 deg phase shift, if you need the signals to be in quadrature. Shouldn't that be 90 deg?
Other than that, I think the approach will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.