Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synopsys ICC help - what files are needed to create MilkyWay library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gideonjc

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day,

Newbie here. I'm hoping someone could help me regarding ICC.

I'm working on a floorplan for my design.
I would like to know which files/directories are required to create a MilkyWay library for my design.
:smile:

Thanks.

Hi gideonjc,

You need technology file and physical reference libraries(only pointers will be created)..

cheers,

Reactions: gideonjc

gideonjc

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Thanks.

I think I have the files already:
-db files
-tech files
-tlup files
-mw_files

This time, i'm having problem on which files do i need in the reference library, esp. in the mw_lib. It contains the following files:
-io
-ram16x128
-ram32x64
-ram4x32
-ram8x64
-sc
-special

How do I know which files do i need for my design?
This is the create library window:
https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/60_1304744402.png

Hi gideonjc,

You need io & sc for sure
Which macros are you using in your design?..Mention those macros along with above..

if you are using any special cells in your designlike MTCMOS etc you need to use special also

Hope it helps,

cheers

Thanks. I i followed ur advice and I was able to proceed without any errors and warnings at that stage.

However, along the way i learned that I must have power and ground pins. It is supposed to be connected to the VDD and VSS rings in the floorplan right?
But I don't think I have defined those pins. where should they be defined?
My generated netlist from the previous stage (Design Compiler) only shows registers and nets.
Are the power and ground pins supposed to be defined in the netlist? How?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: nbuzs

nbuzs

Hi gideonjc,

you are right..your netlist from DC do not contain these as these are physical cells...which do not account for the functionality of the design.

So you need to create these physical cells(VDD/GND,corner cells etc) during design planning stage and these pad cell locations are defined through a file called TDF...if you do not have TDF, ICC will place these physical cells for you automatically...

Once you nitialize your floorplan after creating Physical cells and specified their locations, filler cells will be placed between these physical cells for issues such as well continuity etc...which are DFM related

cheers

thanks.. that really helped..

I had difficulty finding out the procedures at first though. But I had it done now.

I was curious about another thing, hope you could give me idea.
I don't have macros in my generated netlist in my design. It purely contains standard cells only.
When are macros used? What are they for? Are they the ones pointed by the ram files in the mw_library?

Thanks.

Hi gideonjc,

Macros are usually memory blocks/PLL which are used when you make use of some third party IPs or You have developed them prior to the design....so that you have fixed the physical aspects of that design blocks. These are commonly referred to as Macros(hard/soft). Your netlist consists of only the std cells which implement your design functionality...macros are interfaced to these std cells during the design planning stage.

The ram files are the macros in your milkyway library.

cheers,

hello phoenixpavan,

Your reply posts have been very helpful. Thanks!
I'm really very much of a newbie in IC design. Hope you could help me in my future questions.

*** bless

Just post your queries...there is lot of help available around

Maybe you can mark this thread as solved now

Hello
I am usign nangate45 which is free, and I want to use ic compiler, but when i go\ive the technology.tf to milkyway, it gives error and says: no technology information :(
would you please help me?
regards

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Hello
I am usign nangate45 which is free, and I want to use ic compiler, but when i go\ive the technology.tf to milkyway, it gives error and says: no technology information :(
regards

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Hello
regards

you will need sc, macro cells and pad cells(ref libs) and tech file

Thank for your answer, but in nangate45, there is no pdp, plib or tf and .map files, what can I do ? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back