Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronous reads from Cellular RAM Nexys-3 Spartan6 FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkellner

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm working on a project for one of my classes in which I get to implement a design of my choosing, and I am attempting to interface with the on-board Cellular RAM of the Nexys-3 Spartan 6 and do asynchronous and synchronous reads and display the data from the memory (which I programmed using the Adept interface) to the 4 SSD's by displaying the data in HEX (16 bits per address = 4 SSD's each with 4 bits)

I have completed the design which does asynchronous reads, and I know its reading the correct data, however synchronous reads are giving me a little more trouble.

Doing the asynchronous reads, the first 4 addresses I'm reading display "0001", "0010", "0011", "0100" (exactly what they should be reading), but when I load the synchronous .bit file to the board I'm getting "FFFF", "FFFF", "FFFF", "0000". If I then load the asynchronous file back to the FPGA, I then get "FFFF", "0010", "0011", "0100". So it would appear that when I'm trying to configure the memory to run in synchronous mode (by loading to the Bus Configuration Register since the memory powers on in asynchronous mode, on page 24 of the data sheet) it is somehow overwriting the first address of the memory but I'm not sure why this is happening.

If anyone could help me understand why this is happening and what I could do to fix it it would be much appreciated.

I have attached the ZIP of both my asynchronous and synchronous project files as well as the data sheet for the Cellular RAM.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Final_Project_Synchronous.zip
    610.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Final_Project_Asynchronous.zip
    648 KB · Views: 81
  • Cellular RAM Data Sheet.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 87

Status
Not open for further replies.