Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Synchronous and Asynchronous Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunal1514

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Can any body tell me that Whether Asynchronous or Synchronous Design consumes more power.

Well Asynchronous design is supposed to consume less power, its the main research goal for all asychronous vlsi design groups. They do have their share of problems.

In normal circuits you can combine both with proper interface logic, I guess.

**broken link removed**

Asynchronous circuit may consume less power than synchronous circuit. But it's not true for all cases.

hi,
yes , asyn comsume more power but if you use eda tools to do job you have to use synch circuit becoz of capability of eda tools

Hi,

The anser to the question is application specific. Anyhow to generalize, synchronous designs are more power hungry than asynchronous design. As the clock network consumes the major power in synchronous designs.

As other memebers have mentioned designing an purely asynchronous design is very challenging and for any information you may try googling to read the ongoing research work.

It may be the same in average power. But synchronous consume much larger power at clock rising or falling edge, which will lead to power integrity problem.

In synchronous circuits, 50% of power is consumed by clock tree,

because there is no clock tree in asynchronous circuit, so asynchronous circuit

consume less power.

kunal1514 said:
Hi All,

Can any body tell me that Whether Asynchronous or Synchronous Design consumes more power.

i agree with asynchronous designs consume less power.

due to this in every design we can use asynchronous design only or synchronous also some times.

what r the advantages in syncronous compared to asyncronous ........

Synchronous Design consumes more power.

saving power U must cost design time, that is to say U must take some challenge tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back