Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Synchronization error in UART

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further, it's going to assign RX_DATA to D1 and D2 every time you receive one data
Precisely, this is what is happening. What I want is the first data that is sent, is stored in D1. Then the next one coming is stored in D2. How do I do this?

For a start, you might want to use a clocked process.

You are not really listening to what people are telling you

1) USE A CLOCKED PROCESS
2) USE A CLOCKED PROCESS
3) USE A PROCESS WITH A CLOCK
4) You need identify when new data arrives (see post #13). You need to clear a flag when data has been read so that you can wait for it to be set on subsequent data. Back up a little bit and think about what you are actually trying to do.

a) Detect new data received, indicated by a flag
b) Read the data
c) Stick the data somewhewre
d) Clear the flag
e) repeat

I see that this is the original thread. electrobuz stated another thread with the code and the gated clock error. He's got a split FSM with the state register and the combinatorial logic. It does appear recommendations 1-4 were take with the added state register. ;-)

I am using a clocked process now. Also using register to store the value coming from the UART. Here is the code:
Code:
C1: RX PORT MAP (CLOCK_50,UART_RXD,RX_DATA,RX_BUSY,DATA_RCVD);
R1: reg PORT MAP (Input1,CLOCK_50,L_D1,Output1);
R2: reg PORT MAP (Input2,CLOCK_50,L_D2,Output2);
FORFlag:DFF PORT MAP (Inp,resett,CLOCK_50,Outp);

process(DATA_RCVD)
begin
if DATA_RCVD = '1' then
	Inp <= '1';
else
	Inp <= '0';
end if;
end process;

Process(CLOCK_50,Reset)
begin
if Reset = '1' then
		NState <= 0;
elsif rising_edge(CLOCK_50) then
	case PState is
	when 0 => --idle
		if Outp = '1' then
		NState <= 1;
		end if;
	when 1 => --communication state
		D <= RX_DATA;
			if flag = 0 then
				Input1 <= D;
				L_D1 <= '1';
				flag <= 1;
			elsif flag = 1 then
				Input2 <= D;
				L_D2 <= '1';
			end if;
		resett <= '1';	
		NState <= 0;	
	end case;
	PState <= NState;
end if;	
LED <= Output1 or Output2;
end process;

The DFlipFlop is used to make the flag which is 1 when receive is complete and then made 0 once so that we can wait for the next UART communication.
The output should have been Output1 or Output2, but none of the LED's are glowing.

P.S Yes I am a persistent b*stard.

Oh yes. I made it 1 in case 1 when flag is 1 and data is loaded into a register. I am getting the following warning:
"WARNING:Xst:1290 - Hierarchical block <FORFlag> is unconnected in block <UART>.
It will be removed from the design.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch <Q_t> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <DFF>. This FF/Latch will be trimmed during the optimization process."
I checked but couldnt fine any reason why Q_t is not changing and having a default value. I am sending Inp <= '1' as soon as DATA_RCVD is set. Any ideas why this is happening?

There are two related problems:

- Why does the design compiler remove the flag signal during optimization and can you possibly keep it, e.g. by specifying an explicit initial value?
- Does a design that never resets the signal flag make any sense? It means that the conditional code for flag = 0 will be only "executed" once after a design reset. (And the design compiler's default settings seems to follow the proverb "once doesn't count").

The code had some minor issues. But mainly the DATA_RCVD flag was not being set properly hence all the problem. It is working now. Thank you Barry for being so 'patient' with me.

barry: a broken watch will show the correct time twice a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back