Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhi_yi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, please tell me what is the advantages of using switching power supply??

is there any good tutorial / ebook that can guide me to learn how to design a switching mode power supply?

thank you for the reply :)

Here's a nice web page:
**broken link removed**

There are several very good SMPS design books. Search EDAboard for book suggestions.

Zhi_Yi,
The short answer is:
Switching regulators are more efficient than linear regulators.
~
One disadvantage is that the output noise is generally higher than the output noise of a linear regulator.
Regards,
Kral

okay, thank you all :)

what make the smps generate more noise than the linear regulator??

thank you

your answer is word "switching".
because of fast switching it can make some noise such as electromagnetic noise.
it noise can effect on some systems.

They can also be made smaller/lighter for the equivalent current rating than a transformer based power supply.

zhi_yi said:
hello, please tell me what is the advantages of using switching power supply??

is there any good tutorial / ebook that can guide me to learn how to design a switching mode power supply?

thank you for the reply :)

To all the replies you got concerning more eficiency, less volume, consider also that if you use an offline SMPS ( one that is feeded from the power line ) you can obtain very easily a great line regulation. Is common to see SMPS with input voltage from 80 to 2240 ACV.

If noise is a problem, you can reduce it by filtering or addiing a post linear regulator.

In www.ti.com you can find more tutorials wich cover SMPS

I attach a file with links to many places full os info on the subjet. Hope this be usefull for you

Reactions: TuAtAu

zhi_yi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

TuAtAu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.