Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching on/off devices with Triac+relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedman

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
triac relay

I would like to turn on / off a couple of devices (TV, HiFi) etc with a Triac + Relay combo.
The triac will turn on at zero cross, after that a parallel relay will turn on and after a small time triac will not be triggered anymore.

Same way when turning it off.

I read that there can be problems switching inductive loads with triacs.
This on/off event is going to happen just 0-20 times a day.

Do I need any extra precaution / snubber RC etc, to switch these appliances safely?

thanks,
Zedman

triac switching

may i know what your exact logic,with a pictorial representation if possible.
does both triac and relay needed for such a switching application.?

triac or relay

It's quiet simple scenario, just a bistable relay in parallel with a triac. I would like to use the triac to prevent the relay switching on in the middle of a sine wave.
But after that I don't want to use the triac because the relay is bistable and needs no energy to hold the ON state.

thanks,
Zedman

on off con triacs

I guess there will be no problem as you are switching the loads with both the triac and the relay in parellel. The switching of inductive load is a problem with triacs only when you try to control the inductive equipment (Vary the speed for Eg). If you are switching the load On/Off only, i think no problems will be faced. But as a matter of safety for EMI and RFI, use snubbers and MOV's. Hope this helps you. Dont forget the "Helped me" Button. Good luck.

triac relays

A triac in parallel with a latching relay will assure that the switch is made at a zero-crossing, but the triac must remain energized until the relay contacts are closed.
A TYCO KUL-type latching relay claims an an operating time of 25 mSec max, so the triac needs at least two cycles of gate-drive.

Wade Hassler

triac as relay

thanks, I am using a Schrack PE014A05 relay, the switching sequence looks like this:

1) Triac ON
2) wait 50 ms
3) Relay coil ON
4) wait 50 ms
5) Relay coil OFF // by this time the relay has switched it's state
6) wait 50 ms
7) Triac OFF

relay control with triacs

seems it doesnt create any problem.
have fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.