Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switching High DC voltage to switch 10,000 V on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

indiandesi

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Switchin High DC voltage

I am working on this project and need peoples opinion. I got this DC-DC converter that converts from 5V input and outputs upto 10,000 V. So I need to figrue out how to switch the output on and off. So is there anything small sized our there that can switch 10,000 V on and off. I need it in very small scale possible. Thanks for help

Switchin High DC voltage

Hello indiandesi,

I think that you cant switch 10kV in a too small space.

Please see the link bellow on controlled spark gaps.

**broken link removed**

Regards

Re: Switchin High DC voltage

if you no need fast on/off switching frequency, the most simple and safe way to switch on/off from the primary side, by turning on/off the module supply voltage.

Re: Switchin High DC voltage

Thanks for help so far. But I need to use the output voltage to control various mechanics. For example, the output will be in a parallel circuit, so I need switches or something to control different branch of the parallel cicruit.

Switchin High DC voltage

It may be the case, that using multiple DC/DC converters is the most space and cost economic variant anyway. At a 10 kV voltage level, it's somewhat naive to place a DC/DC converter first and ask then "how to switch the output?".

You didn't mention dynamic requirements. The situation can be different, if a particular switching behaviour is needed in your application.

Regarding available switching devices, the said spark gaps are unsuitable (apart from a too low voltage rating), because they perform "switch-on" only. But reed relays with 10 kV rating are available, e.g. from Meder, for fast switching, cascaded MOSFET can be used.

Switchin High DC voltage

SOS SOS!!!!! Hi anyone know how to built STEP DOWN SWITCHING DC-DC REGULATOR??i want 12vdc input and want 5vdc min 1A as output..please help me

Added after 9 minutes:

hi
i m new here...need ur help...

Status
Not open for further replies.