Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching from windows to linux/unix while studying ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

numair_noor

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, i am using windows 7 in my x64 bit machine.
i am starting my ccna course after this eid. i want to know what type of operating system should i keep in my machine for best advantage of ccna course.
secondly in ccna, a software named "PACKET TRACER" may be taught in the course. i dont know if this software can be installed on other operating systems as well?
as far as i know. linux is free. but it only allows those softwares to be used which are available from the linux official website. i dont know if any windows software can be used on linux or not. because in near future i might use some software like antenna design etc.hfss or cad feko. pls advise.
third question: i have linux mind dvd. will it be better to install than other linux. i am asking this because it wont need to download and burn the disc again. :)
regards,
numair
pls give me some fair suggestions.

actually i like to know linux. but i dont know how its gonna be working with time. i dont want to get stuck in the middle of two OS. so please just tell me, what is and what is not possible to install/work on linux.
its free. so its probable to be more likely that it can expand to unlimited. but i just need to know.
thanks harry.

although it is possible to partition a disk to be able to boot multiple operating systems I find it simpler to run a number of virtual machines, e.g. Oracles's Virtualbox
https://www.virtualbox.org/

for example, one can have a Windows 7 or Linux host with multiple VMs such as different Windows versions, linux versions, Solaris, etc, etc
it pays to have a large amount of RAM (I use 16Gbytes) and run a 64 bit operating system

certain software and drivers will not work with 64bit operating systems - one can therefore run a 32 bit VM to support such software

is it good to switch over to linux while studying ccna. ?

is it good to switch over to linux while studying ccna. ?
the advantage of using virtual machines is that you have flexibility - you can carry on using your existing system and at the same time experiment with alternatives

yes no doubt but with me its important to run some s/w native

otherwise vm very good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back